Methodological Approach to the Clinical Evaluation of Nootropic Drugs
Numerous drugs have been suggested and employed for the treatment of cerebral insufficiency. They were variously classified without any indication of their particular features. Nowadays, nootropics have to be added to activators, neurody-namic drugs, cerebral protectors, psychoanaleptics, vasoactivators and metabo-lizers. From a theoretical point of view, a nootropic substance is likely to improve intellective functions even in absence of mental deterioration. From a clinical standpoint, we prefer to define the nootropic effect of a drug as “the therapeutic capacity of improving impaired brain performance following various neuro-pathological or age-related processes”.
KeywordsCognitive Training Motor Recovery Ined Variable Digit Symbol Substitution Test Digit Symbol Substitution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dolce G, Bruno F, Ceceoni V, Pisarri F, Zamponi A (1978) Problems concerning clinical trials with nootropic drugs. Abstract of the 8th C.I.N.P. Congress, Vienna, p 337Google Scholar
- 2.Dolce G, Cecconi V, Cruccu G, Io vine G, Sannita W (1981) Sulla valutazione clinica ed EEG dell’effetto nootropo in terapia. Riv Ital EEG Neurofisiol Clin 4: 41Google Scholar
- 3.Dolce G, Cecconi V, Cruccu G, Sannita W (1982) Quantitative assessment of EEG and clinical effects of nootropic and geriatric drugs. Methodological model and applications. In: Hermann WM (ed) EEG in drug research. Fischer, Stuttgart, p 555Google Scholar
- 4.Dolce G, Longhi L (1982) Neuroriabilitazione dell’emiplegico. Aspetti teorici e pratici. Er¬mes Medica, Roma, p 21Google Scholar
- 5.Dolce G, Cecconi V, Cruccu G, Vigevano F (1979) Effects of a neuropsychological training on psychomotor performance in patients during motor rehabilitation after stroke. Neurosci Lett [Suppl] 3: 207Google Scholar
- 6.Dolce G, Zamponi A, Cecconi V, Pola P (1984) Clinical and EEG assessment of neurodynamic effect of nicergoline in cerebral functions recovery after brain hemisphere lesions. Abstract of the 14th C.I.N.P. Congress, Florence, p 471Google Scholar
- 7.Herzigkeit H (1977) Manual zum Syndrom Kurztest formen A-E. Vless, VaterstettenGoogle Scholar
- 9.Spiegel R, Aebi H-J (1981) Psychopharmakologie. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart, p 58Google Scholar
- 11.Hamburg-Wechsler-Intelligenztest für Erwachsene (1957) Hans Huber, BernGoogle Scholar