Differences in the Peritoneal Response to Pristane in BALB/cAnPt and BALB/cJ Mice
Plasmacytomas are readily induced in all sublines of Balb/c mice except Balb/c J following intraperitoneal injections of 2, 6, 10, 14 Tetramethylpentadecane (Pristane) (Potter et al, this volume). The molecular basis for resistance and susceptibility to plasmacytoma induction is not known but chromosomal aberrations (Ohno et al 1980 and 1984), viral ocogenes (Potter et al 1984) and growth promoting influences of granulomatous inflammation (Potter and MacCardle 1964) all appear to be associated with pathogenesis. Although the initial mutagenic event remains ellusive, generation of clastogenic oxidants and/or prostaglandin metabolites within oil-induced granulomatous inflammation may contribute to plasma cell tumor induction. This is further supported by the observation that the antiinflammatory drug indomethacin prevented development of plasmacytomas in susceptible strains (Potter et al, to be published). The present study examines cellular and microenvironmental features of oil-induced lesions in Balb/c sublines which differ with regard to susceptibility to Pristane-induced plasmacytomagenesis.
KeywordsAlcian Blue Small Lymphocyte High Endothelial Venule Foreign Body Giant Cell Peritoneal Lesion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson ND, Anderson AO, and Wyllie RG (1976) Specialized structure and metabolic activities of high endothelial venules in rat lymphatic tissues. Immunol 31:455–473Google Scholar
- Anderson AO, Anderson ND, and White JD (1982). Lymphocyte locomotion, lymphocyte tissues and lymphocyte circulation in the rat. In: Hay J. B. (ed.) Animal Models of immunological Processes, Academic Press, London, pp. 25–95.Google Scholar
- Blankenhorn EP, Wax JS, Matthai R, Potter M Genetic analysis of alpha fetoprotein levels in Balb/c sublines (This volume)Google Scholar
- Holub M, Jaroskova L, Fischer H, and Viklicky V (1979) Neoformation of lymphatics in the mouse omentum. Adv. Exp. Med. and Biol. 114:427–432Google Scholar
- Ohno S, Babonits M, Weiner F, et al (1980) Non-random chromosomal changes involving the distal end of chromosome 15 and chromosomes 6 and 12 in Pristane-induced mouse plasmacytomas In: Potter M (ed.) Progress in Meloma, Elsevier North Holland, Inc, NY, 223–237Google Scholar
- Potter M, Wax JS, and Anderson AO Inhibition of plasmacytoma development in Balb/c mice by indomethacin. J. Exp. Med. 161 (to be published)Google Scholar
- Potter M, Wax JS, and Blankenhorn EP Balb/c subline differences in susceptibility to plasmacytoma induction (this volume)Google Scholar