Cytoskeletal and Lectin Markers for Cells Cultured from Chorionic Villi and Decidua
First trimester chorionic villi (CV) biopsy (Hahneman and Mohr 1969) has been reintroduced in prenatal diagnosis as a promising alternative to amniocentesis (Rodeck and Morsman 1983), thereby generating special interest in the cells of CV. In addition to uncultured CV cells, the rapid growth of CV cells in culture makes them another precious source of material which can be used for various determinations (Simoni et al. 1983; Williamson et al. 1981). CV cultures have been extensively studied as to both their morphological and their trophoblastic properties, though often with somewhat contradictory results (Loke 1983). Maternal cell growth is still the most important problem in CV cultures (Martinez et al. 1983; Heaton et al. 1984), thus also making decidual cells in culture a focus of interest.
KeywordsCatheter Saccharide Polyethylene Penicillin Syringe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dearden L, Ockleford CD (1983) Structure of human trophoblasts. Correlation with function. In: Loke YW, Whyte A (eds) Biology of trophoblasts. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 70–110Google Scholar
- 4.Franke WW, Schmid E, Schiller DL, Winter S, Jarasch ED, Moll R, Denk H, Jackson BW, Illmensee K (1981) Differentation-related patterns of expression of proteins of intermediate-size filaments in tissue and cultured cells. Cold Spring Harbor Symp Quant Biol 46: 431–454Google Scholar
- 6.Hahneman N, Mohr J (1969) Antenatal fetal diagnosis in genetic disease. Bull Eur Soc Hum Genet 3: 47–54Google Scholar
- 10.Loke YW (1983) Human trophoblasts in culture. In: Loke, Whyte (eds Biology of trophoblasts. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 663–701Google Scholar
- 11.Martinez F, Cheung SW, Crane JP, Arias F (1983) Use of trophoblast cells in tissue culture for fetal chromosomal studies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 5: 542–547Google Scholar
- 14.Priest RE, Priest JH, Laundon CH, Snider PW (1980) Multinucleated cells in cultures of human amniotic fluid for by fusion. Lab Invest 2: 140–144Google Scholar
- 15.Rodeck CH, Morsman JM (1983) First-trimester chorion biopsy. Br Med Bull 4: 338 - 342Google Scholar
- 20.Virtanen I, Lehto V-P, Lehtonen E, Vartio T, Stenman S, Kurki P, Wager I, Small JV, Dahl D, Badley RA (1981) Expression of intermediate filaments in cultured cells. J Cell Sci 60: 45–63Google Scholar
- 21.Virtanen I, Miettinen M, Lehto V-P, Kariniemi A-L, Paasivuo R (1985) Diagnostic application of monoclonal antibodies to intermediate filaments. Ann NY Acad Sci (to be published )Google Scholar