Cell Transformation: State of the Art
With the recent demonstrations that asbestos and other mineral dusts can directly induce morphological and neoplastic transformation of mammalian cells in culture (DiPaolo et al. 1983; Hesterberg and Barrett 1984; Lechner et al. 1985; Patérour et al. 1985; Poole et al. 1984), the utility of cell transformation assays to study the mechanisms of carcinogenicity by mineral dusts is apparent. The purpose of this chapter is to give a brief overview of cell transformation. The reader is referred to more comprehensive reviews of this topic for a detailed discussion of specific systems (Heidelberger et al. 1983; IARC 1980; Barrett and Thomassen 1984).
KeywordsToxi City Dust Agar Benzene Arsenic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett JC (1984) Cell culture models of multistep carcinogenesis. IARC Scientific Publication No. 58 (Age-related Factors in Carcinogenesis) edited by A. Likhachev, V. Anisimov and R. Montesano International Agency for Research on Cancer, in press.Google Scholar
- Barrett JC, Hesterberg TW, Thomassen DG (1984) Use of cell transformation systems for carcinogenicity testing and mechanistic studies of carcinogenesis. Pharm Rev 36: 535–705Google Scholar
- Barrett JC and Thomassen DG (1984) Use of quantitative cell transformation assays in risk estimation. In: Vouk VB, Butler GC, Hoel DG and Peakall DB (eds), Methods of Estimating Risk in Human and Chemical Damage in Non- Human Biota and Ecosystems, SCOPE, SGOMSEC 2, IPCS Joint Symposia 3, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, New York, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, in press.Google Scholar
- DiPaolo JA, Demarinis AJ and Doniger J (1983) Asbestos and benzo(a)pyrene synergism in the transformation of Syrian hamster embryo cells. Pharmacology 27: 65–73Google Scholar
- Heidelberger C, Freeman AE, Pienta RJ, Sivak A, Bertran JA, Casto BC, Dunkel VC, Francis MC, Kakunaga T, Little JB, and Schechtman LM (1983) Cell transformation by chemical agents: A review and analysis of the literature. Mutation Res 114: 282–385Google Scholar
- IARC Monograph (1980) Supplement 2, Long-term and short-term screening assays for carcinogen in a critical appraisal, p185–200Google Scholar
- Lechner JF, Tokiwa T, Bans-Schlegel SP, Harris CC, Yeager H (1985) Asbestos associated chromosomal changes in human mesothelial cells, this volumeGoogle Scholar
- Patérour MJ, Renier A, Bignon J, Jaurand MC (1985) Induction of transformation in cultured rat pleural cells by chrysotile fibers, this volumeGoogle Scholar