Multinuclear NMR Methods for the in situ Characterization of Chemical Species
The application of NMR methods to the study of chemical species in solutions, biofluids, cells, tissues, organs, polymers, and minerals is described. The technique is noninvasive and nondestructive. Sensitivity is highest for spin-1/2 nuclei such as 1H, 19F, and 31P, giving signals for millimolar solutions in a few minutes. Less-sensitive nuclei can also be studied. The problems of quadrupolar nuclei are discussed. The rates of metal-ligand exchange reactions can often be calculated. Well-resolved spectra can be obtained from solids using magic-angle spinning, especially from 27Al and 29Si in aluminosilicates.
KeywordsSilicate Platinum Cadmium Glutathione Beach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akitt JW (1983) NMR and Chemistry, second ed. London: Chapman and HallGoogle Scholar
- Gadian D (1982) NMR of Living Biological Systems. Oxford: Clarendon PressGoogle Scholar
- Harris RK (1983) Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. London: PitmanGoogle Scholar
- Harris RK, Mann BE (eds) (1978) NMR and the Periodic Table. London: Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- Higham DP, Nicholson JK, Sadler PJ (1985) The environmental chemistry of metals with examples from studies on cadmium speciation. In Environmental Inorganic Chemistry, Proceedings, U.S.-Italy International Workshop on Environmental Inorganic Chemistry, eds. K.J. Irgolic and A.E. Martell, pp 249–272. Deerfleld Beach, FL: VCH Publishers, IncGoogle Scholar
- Isab AA, Sadler PJ (1982) A carbon-13 nuclear magnetic resonance study of thiolexchange reactions of gold(I) thiomalate (‘Myocrisin’) including applications to cysteine derivatives. J Chem Soc Dalton 135–141Google Scholar
- Kerrison SJS, Sadler PJ (1978) The convention for referencing platinum-195 NMR shifts and the cooperative shift effect for chloro-bromo complexes of Pt(IV) and Pt(II). J Magnet Res 31: 321–325Google Scholar
- Lambert JB, Riddell FG (eds) (1983) The Multinuclear Approach to NMR Spectroscopy. Dordrecht: D. Reidel Publishing CoGoogle Scholar
- Mansfield P, Morris PG (1982) NMR Imaging in Biomedicine. London: Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- Nicholson JK, Buckingham MJ, Sadler PJ (1983 a) High resolution 1H n.m.r. studies of vertebrate blood and plasma. Biochem J 211:605–615Google Scholar
- Nicholson JK, Sadler PJ, Cain K, Holt DE, Webb M, Hawkes GE (1983 b) 88 MHz 113Cd-n.m.r. studies of native rat liver metallothioneins. Biochem J 211:251–255Google Scholar