In-Vivo-UVA-Tests: Erythema, Pigmentation, Phototoxicity
The time course and dose requirements for the effects of UV-B-irradiation on human skin are well characterized. Since 1931, when Wucherpfennig  introduced the “Lichttreppe”, this classical test has been used to determine sensitivity to UV-Berythema. Skin responses to UV-A, however, are less well and only qualitatively defined. Studies aiming at quantification of UV-A-effects are few [2, 4, 6, 8, 11]. They have been hampered by lack of suitable light sources. In 1977 a new apparatus with high radiation energy between 320–460 nm was introduced; a description of the appatus and its dermatological applications was published in 1981 . Advantages of the device are high intensity in the UV-A-range with virtually no additional UV-B and the possibility or irradiation of large areas of the skin surface.
KeywordsTitration Dermatol Protec Methylbenzylidene Meladinine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Folsom KG, Gange RW, Mendelson IR (1981) The ability of UVA to induce ODC in topical 8-MOP treated mouse epidermis: Use of this effect to measure UVA sunscreen potency ( Abstract ). J Invest Dermatol 76: 330Google Scholar
- 4.Hausser I (1938) Über spezifische Wirkungen des langwelligen ultravioletten Lichts auf die menschliche Haut. Strahlentherapie 62: 315–322Google Scholar
- 5.Ippen H, Kölmel K (1980) Lichtschutz gegen Ultraviolett A. Ärztliche Kosmetologie 10:219226Google Scholar
- 7.Mutzhas MF, Hölzle E, Hofmann C, Plewig G (1981) A new apparatus with high radiation energy between 320–460 nm: Physical description and dermatological applications. J Invest Dermatol 76: 42–47Google Scholar
- 8.Parrish JH, Ying CY, Pathak MA, Fitzpatrick TB (1974) Erythemogenic properties of long wave ultraviolet light. In: Pathak MA, Harber LC, Seiji M, Kukita A, Fitzpatrick TB (eds) Sunlight and man. University of Tokyo Press, Tokyo, pp 131–141Google Scholar
- 10.Pathak MA (1984) Pigmentary responses to solar UVA. In: Urbach F, Gange W (eds) The biologic effects of UVA. Proceedings of a workshop (in press)Google Scholar
- 11.Pathak MA, Fanselow DL (1983) Photobiology of melanin pigmentation: Dose/response of skin to sunlight and its contents. J Am Acad Dermatol 9: 724–733Google Scholar
- 12.Ryckmanns F, Schmoeckel C, Plewig G, Braun-Falco 0 (1983) UVA-Pigmentation: Ultra-structural and morphometric analysis. J Cut Pathol 10: 399Google Scholar
- 13.Wucherpfennig V (1931) Biologie und praktische Verwendbarkeit der Erythemschwelle des UV. Strahlentherapie 40: 201–244Google Scholar