Bone Marrow Transplantation for Acute Leukemia
Between May 1976 and December 1983, 200 patients underwent bone marrow transplantation (BMT) for hematologic malignancies at our center; 164 had acute leukemia. After administration of high dose radiochemotherapy for marrow ablation and immunosuppression, these 164 patients received marrow grafts from histocompatible sibling donors. Graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis (and therapy) consisted of either methotrexate and prednisone or cyclosporin A and prednisone. All patients have been followed for a minimum of 3 months after BMT. Results are summarized in Table 1 and Fig. 1.
KeywordsLeukemia Oncol Methotrexate Cyclosporin Cyclophosphamide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blume KG, Spruce WE, Forman SJ, Bross KJ, Beutler E, Farbstein MJ, Fahey JL, Schmidt GM, Scott EP, Wolf JL (1981) Bone marrow ablation and marrow transplantation in acute leukemia: Influence of clinical pretransplant condition. Transplant Proc 13: 252Google Scholar
- 3.Woods WG, Nesbit ME, Ramsay NKC, Krivit W, Kim TH, Goldman A, McGlave PB, Kersey JH (1983) Intensive therapy followed by bone marrow transplantation for patients with acute lymphocytic leukemia in second or subsequent remission: Determination of prognostic factors ( A report from the University of Minnesota Bone Marrow Transplantation Team ). Blood 61: 1182Google Scholar
- 4.Santos GW, Tutschka PJ, Brookmeyer R, Sarai R, Beschorner WE, Bias WB, Braine HG, Burns WH, Elfenbein GJ, Kaizer H, Mellits D, Sensenbrenner LL, Stuart RK, Yeager AM (1983) Marrow transplantation for acute nonlymphocytic leukemia after treatment with busulfan and cyclophosphamide. N Engl J Med 309: 1347PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Dinsmore R, Kirkpatrick D, Flomenberg N, Gulati S, Shank B, O’Reilly RJ (1983) Allogeneic marrow transplantation for acute lymphoblastic leukemia in remission: The importance of early transplantation. Transplant Proc 15: 1397Google Scholar
- 8.Spruce WE, Forman SJ, Krance RA, Farbstein MJ, Wolf JL, Scott EP, Nademanee AP, Fahey JL, Henke M, Blume KG (1983) Outcome of bone marrow transplantation in patients with extramedullary involvement of acute leukemia. Blut 48: 75 41Google Scholar