Advances in Parenteral Nutrition Support of Children with Neoplastic Diseases
In the last decade, advances were made in understanding the significance of protein energy malnutrition (PEM), in recognizing PEM in specific subpopulations of children with malignancies, in Staging and assessment of nutritional status, and in understanding the efficacy and limitations of various options for nutrition support. This report describes our experience in providing nutrition support for over a 100 children with newly diagnosed malignancies who have been monitored carefully on study protocols and treated at a single pediatric cancer facility. This work was possible because of the close collaboration between the Departments of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Pediatric Surgery, Radiation Oncology, and Pediatric Nutrition and Dietetics at James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children.
KeywordsParenteral Nutrition Enteral Nutrition Oncologic Treatment Protein Energy Malnutrition Protein Energy Malnutrition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beal VA (1970) Nutritional intake. In: Mc- Cammon RW (ed) Human growth and development. Thomas, Springfield, III, pp 63–100Google Scholar
- 2.DeWys WD, Begg C, Lavin PT, Band PR, Bennett JM, Bertino JR, Cohen MH, Douglass HO, Engstrom PF, Ezdinli EZ, Horton J, Johnson GJ, Moertel CG, Oken MM, Perlia C, Rosenbaum C, Silverstein MN, Skeel RT, Sponzo RW, Tormey DC (1980) Prognostic effect of weight loss prior to chemotherapy in cancer patients. Am J Med 60: 491–497Google Scholar
- 11.Rickard KA, Baehner RL, Coates TD, Weetman RM, Provisor AJ, Grosfeld JL (1982) Supportive nutritional Intervention. Cancer Res 42 [Suppl]: 766–773Google Scholar
- 12.Rickard KA, Detamore DM, Coates TD, Grosfeld JL, Weetman RM, White NM, Provisor AJ, Boxer LA, Loghmani ES, Oei TO, Yu P, Baehner RL (1983 a) Effect of nutrition Staging on treatment delays and outcome in stage IV neuroblastoma. Cancer 52: 587–598Google Scholar
- 13.Rickard KA, Foland BB, Detamore CM, Coates TD, Grosfeld JL, White NM, Weetman RM, Provisor AJ, Loghmani ES, Oei TO, Yu P, Baehner RL (1983 b) Effectiveness of central parenteral nutrition vs peripheral parenteral nutrition plus enteral nutrition in reversing PEM in children with advanced neuroblastoma and Wilms’ tumor: a prospective randomized study. Am J Clin Nutr 38: 445–456Google Scholar
- 14.Rickard KA, Foland BB, Grosfeld JL, Loghmani ES, Yu P, Detamore CM, Coates TD, Weetman RM, Provisor AJ, Oei TO, Baehner RL (1984 a) Prealbumin and retional binding protein: Early biochemical indicators of nutritional repletion in children with neuroblastoma or Wilms’ tumor. Fed Proc 43:468 (Abstract 1070 )Google Scholar
- 15.Rickard KA, Loghmani ES, Grosfeld JL, Detamore CM, White NM, Foland BB, Coates TD, Yu P, Weetman RM, Provisor AJ, Oei TO, Baehner RL (1984 b) Effectiveness of enteral and parenteral nutrition in preventing and/or reversing PEM in children with advanced neuroblastoma. Am Soc Clin Oncol Proc 3:109 (Abstract C-423)Google Scholar
- 18.Van Eys J, Wesley MN, Cangir A, Copeland EM, Donaldson SS, Ghavimi F, Shils M, Suskind R, Jaffe N, Füler R (1982) Safety of intravenous hyperalimentation in children with malignancies: A cooperative group trial. JPEN 6: 291–294Google Scholar