Natural Defense and Chemical Carcinogenesis
It is becoming increasingly clear that chemical, physical, and biologic carcinogens are immunosuppressive. Most of the available information on the immunosuppressive activity of oncogenic agents concerns adaptive immunity . Recent studies have indicated that exposure of laboratory animals to various carcinogenic insults affected also certain expressions of innate, natural immunity such as natural killer (NK) activity (for review see ).
KeywordsBone Marrow Cell Natural Antibody Binding Index Natural Killer Cell Population Cytotoxicity Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ehrlich R, Witz IP (1982) Natural killer cells and naturally occuring antibodies as representatives of natural tumor immunity. Pathobiol Ann 12: 85Google Scholar
- 4.Ehrlich R, Efrati M, Malatzky E, Shochat L, Bar-Eyal A, Witz IP (1983). Natural host-defence during oncogenesis. NK activity and dimethylbenzanthracene carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer 31: 67Google Scholar
- 6.Guilbert B, Dighiero G, Avrameas S (1982) Naturally occurring antibodies against nine common antigens in normal humans. 1. Detection, isolation and characterization. J Immunol 128: 2779Google Scholar
- 7.Habu S, Okumura K (1982) Cell lineage of NK cells: Evidence for T cell lineage. In: Herberman RB (ed) NK cells and other natural effector cells. Academic, New York, p 209Google Scholar
- 14.Menard S, Colnaghi MI, Deila Porta G (1977) Natural antitumor serum reactivity in BALB/c mice. I. Characterisation and interference with tumor growth. Int J Cancer 19: 267Google Scholar
- 16.Snyder HW Jr, Fleissner E (1980) Specificity of human antibodies to oncovirus glycoproteins: Recognition of antigen by natural antibodies directed against carbohydrate structures. Proc Natl Acad Sei USA 77: 1622Google Scholar
- 20.Wolosin LB, Greenberg AH (1979) Murine natural anti-tumor antibodies. I. Rapid in vivo binding of natural antibody by tumor cells in syngeneic mice. Int J Cancer 23: 519Google Scholar
- 21.Wolosin LB, Greenberg AH (1981) Genetics of natural antitumor antibody produetion: Antibodies to MHC-linked determinants detected in the serum of unstimulated mice. J Immunol 126: 1456Google Scholar