Nutritional Effects on Ventilation
Part of the Anaesthesiologie und Intensivmedizin / Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine book series (A+I, volume 178)
This presentation will discuss both the effects of malnutrition on the ventilatory system and the influence of nutrients upon the elements of the ventilatory system and also upon the demands for gas exchange. The ventilatory system is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in the intensive care unit. Yet, there is only limited information on the role of nutrition in treating ventilatory failure. This is surprising in view of the attention to nutrition in muscle work performance, while the ventilatory system is highly dependent upon muscle function. The ventilatory system can be discussed in three subdivisions:
The ventilatory drive involving the central nervous system;
The pump, or respiratory muscles; and
The organ of gas exchange which is the lungs.
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Total Parenteral Nutrition Respiratory Muscle Muscle Glycogen Ventilatory Response
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Porter R, Whelan J (eds) (1981) Human Muscle Fatigue: Physiological Mechanism. Ciba Foundation Symposium. Pitman Medical, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gertz I, Hedenstierna G, Hellers G, et al (1977) Muscle metabolism in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease and acute respiratory failure. Clin Sci Molec Med 52: 395Google Scholar
- 14.Starling EH (1912) Principles of Human Physiology, 1st ed. Lea & Febiger, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 15.Arora NS, Rochester DF (1977) Effect of general nutritional and muscular states on the human diaphragm. Am Rev Respir Dis 115: 84Google Scholar
- 16.Braude-Heller A, Ratbalsam J, Elbinger R (1946) Clinique de la famine chez les enfants, pp 173-187. In: Appelbaum E (ed) Quoted in Keys, p 602Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1985