The Use of Protoplasts in the Study of Coated Vesicles
In plant cells the plasma membrane functions as a selectively permeable boundary around the cytoplasm, acting in concert with the cell wall as an interface with the external environment. Organelles associated with the inner surface of the plasma membrane of walled cells include endoplasmic reticulum associated with the plasmodesmata, cytoskeletal elements such as cortical microtubules and microfilaments, and smooth and coated vesicles. As disruption of the plasmodesmata due to enzymatic degradation of the cell wall during the production of protoplasts also disrupts the association of the endoplasmic reticulum with the plasma membrane, in protoplasts the organelles associated with the plasma membrane are primarily cytoskeletal elements and smooth and coated vesicles of the cortical cytoplasm.
KeywordsCortical Microtubule Coated Vesicle Plant Protoplast Cortical Cytoplasm Clathrin Coat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fowke LC, Griffing LR, Mersey BG, van der Valk P (1983a) Protoplasts for studies of the plasma membrane and associated cell organelles. Protoplasts 1983, Lecture Proc 6th Int Protoplast Symp Basel. Exper Suppl (Basel) 46:101–110Google Scholar
- Fowke LC, Griffing LR, Mersey BG, Tanchak M (to be published 1985) Protoplasts for studies of cell organelles. In: Fowke LC, Constabel F (eds) Plant protoplasts. CRC, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar
- Griffing LR, Fowke LC (1985) Localization of peroxidase in soybean suspension culture cells and protoplasts: intracellular vacuole differentiation and presence of peroxidase in coated vesicles and multivesicular bodies (manuscript submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- Griffing LR, Mersey BG, Fowke LB (1984) A coated vesicle-enriched fraction from soybean protoplasts contains glucan synthetase I activity. Plant Physiol Suppl 75:2Google Scholar
- Heath IB, Seagull RW (1982) Oriented cellulose fibrils and the cytoskeleton: a critical comparison of models. In: Lloyd CW (ed) The cytoskeleton in plant growth and development. Academic, London, pp 163–182Google Scholar
- Mersey BG, Griffing LR, Rennie PJ, Fowke LC (1983) Coated vesicles from plant protoplasts. Protoplasts 1983, Poster Proc 6th Int Protoplast Symp Basel. Exper Suppl (Basel) 45:216–217Google Scholar
- Mersey BG, Griffing LR, Rennie PJ, Fowke LC (to be published 1985) The isolation of coated vesicles from protoplasts of soybean. Planta (Berl) 163Google Scholar
- Palevitz BA (1982) The stomatal complex as a model of cytoskeletal participation in cell differentiation. In: Lloyd CW (ed) The cytoskeleton in plant growth and development. Academic, New York, pp 345–376Google Scholar
- Robinson DG, Quader H (1982) The microtubule-microfibril syndrome. In: Lloyd CW (ed) The cytoskeleton in plant growth and development. Academic, London, pp 109–126Google Scholar
- Tanchak MA, Griffing LR, Mersey BG, Fowke LC (1984) Endocytosis of cationized ferritin by coated vesicles of soybean protoplasts. Planta (Berl) 162Google Scholar