Mitotic Cycle of Mesophyll Protoplasts
Leaf mesophyll cells are differentiated, most of their metabolic activity being concentrated on photosynthesis. In completely developed leaves these cells do not divide. As most differentiated cells, they are arrested in the Go phase of the cell cycle, i.e. they contain an amount of DNA corresponding to 2n. After isolation, mesophyll protoplasts rapidly lose their photosynthetic ability during culture and become capable of undergoing mitosis under favourable medium conditions, including the presence of auxin and cytokinin in the culture medium.
KeywordsMigration Maize Hydrate Polysaccharide Electrophoresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albersheim P, Darvill AG, McNeil M et al. (1983)Oligosaccharins: naturally occuring carbohydrates with biological regulatory functions. In: Ciferri O, Dure L (eds) Structure and function of plant genomes III. Plenum, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Baulcombe DC, Giorgini J, Key JL (1980) The effect of auxin on the polyadenylated RNA of soybean hypocotyls. In: Leaver CJ (ed) Genome Organization and expression in plants. Plenum, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Dale PJ (1983) Protoplast culture and plant regeneration of cereals and other recalcitrant Crops. In: Potrykus J et al. (ed) Protoplasts 1983, Poster Proc 6th Int Protoplast Symp Basel. Exper Suppl (Basel) 46:31–41Google Scholar
- Fleck J, Durr A, Fritsch C, Lett M, Hirth L (1980) Comparison of proteins synthesized in vivo and in vitro by mRNA from isolated protoplasts. Planta (Berl) 148:453–454Google Scholar
- Meyer Y, Aspart L (1983) The first mitotic cycle of mesophyll protoplasts. In: Potrykus J et al. (ed) Protoplasts 1983, Poster Proc 6th Int Protoplast Symp Basel. Exper Suppl (Basel) 46:93–100Google Scholar
- Meyer Y, Aspart L, Chartier Y (to be published 1984a) Auxin-induced regulation of protein synthesis in tobacco mesophyll protoplasts cultivated in vitro I. Characteristics of auxinsensitive proteins. Plant Physiol (Bethesda)Google Scholar
- Meyer Y, Aspart L, Chartier Y (to be published 1984b) Auxin-induced regulation of protein synthesis in tobacco mesophyll protoplasts cultivated in vitro II. Time course and level of auxin control. Plant Physiol (Bethesda)Google Scholar