Primary Structure and Processing of gag and env Gene Products of Human T-Cell Leukemia Viruses HTLV-ICR and HTLV-IATK
Many of the immunological and biochemical properties of HTLV internal and envelope proteins are discussed in other chapters of this volume. Here we summarize the results of our published and ongoing studies on the primary structure of human T-0cell leukemia virus (HTLV) gag and env gene products. In addition to the previously known structural proteins p19, p24, p15, and gp46, the use of antibodies to synthetic peptides enabled us to characterize partially the transmembrane protein p21env and a low molecular weight glycoprotein gp16, which have not been identified previously.
KeywordsBovine Leukemia Virus Complete Amino Acid Sequence Nucleic Acid Binding Protein Complete Primary Structure Primary Structure Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Copeland TD, Oroszlan S, Kalyanaraman VS, Sarngadharan MG, Gallo RC (1983b) Complete amino acid sequence of human T-cell leukemia virus structural protein p15. FEBBS Lett 162:390–395Google Scholar
- Dittmar KJ, Moelling K (1978) Biochemical properties of pl5-associated protease in an avian RNA tumor virus. J Virol 28:106-118Google Scholar
- Edman P, Begg G (1967) A protein sequenator. Eur J Biochem 1: 80–91Google Scholar
- Hinuma Y, Nagata K, Hanoka M, Nakai M, Matsumoto T, Kinoshita KI, Shirakawa S, Miyoshi I (1981) Adult T-cell leukemia antigen in ATL cell line and detection of antibodies to the antigen in human sera. Proc Natl Acad Sei USA 79: 4780–4782Google Scholar
- Kalyanaraman VS, Morar MJ, Sarngadharan MG, Gallo RC (1984) Immunological characterization of the low molecular weight gag gene proteins pl9 and pl5 of human T-cell leukemia-lymphoma virus ( HTLV), and demonstration of human natural antibodies to them. Virology 132: 61–70Google Scholar
- Oroszlan S, Gilden RV (1980) Primary strueture analysis of retrovirus proteins. In: Stephenson JR (ed) Molecular biology of RNA tumor viruses. Academic, New York, pp 299–314Google Scholar
- Oroszlan S, Henderson LE, Stephenson JR, Copeland TD, Long CW, Ihle JN, Gilden RV (1978) Human T-Cell Leukemia Viruses HTLV-ICR and HTLV-Iatk 233 Amino- and carboxyl-terminal amino acid sequences of proteins coded by gag gene of murine leukemia virus. Proc Natl Acad Sei USA 75: 1404–1408CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schultz AM, Henderson LE, Oroszlan S (1983) Myristylation of gag polyproteins of type B, C, and D retroviruses and also of retroviral transforming proteins. In: Rieh MA (ed) Leukemia reviews international, vol 1. Mareell Dekker, New York, p 304Google Scholar
- Schultz AM, Copeland TD, Oroszlan S (1984) The envelope proteins of bovine leukemia virus: Puriflcation and sequence analysis. Virology 135: 417–427Google Scholar
- Schüpbach J, Sarngadharan MG, Gallo RC (1984) Antigens on HTLV-infected cells recognized by leukemia and AIDS sera are related to HTLV viral glycoprotein. ScienceGoogle Scholar
- Yoshinaka Y, Katoh I, Copeland TD, Oroszlan S (to be published) Puriflcation, biochemical and structural characterization of Mu-MuLV protease encoded by the gag-pol gene. Proc Natl Acad Sei USAGoogle Scholar