Economical Regimens of Human Diploid Cell Strain Antirabies Vaccine for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis
One hundred and seventy-nine Thai subjects with no history of rabies vaccination were inoculated either with a) Semple vaccine alone, b) one of various economical, candidate regimens for human diploid cell strain rabies vaccine (HDCSV) alone, c) or vaccine and human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) given at a dosage of 40 IU/kg on day 0. Rabies lgG antibodies were measured by enzyme immunoassay (Elisa) on samples taken from each group of volunteers on days 0, 7, 14, 28, 91 and, for some groups, day 182.
Results are reported showing that one-tenth of the normal dose of HDCSV administered intradermally (id), or subcutaneously (sc) with Al (OH)3 as adjuvant, on days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28 and 91 is a relatively poor antigenic stimulus. By contrast, high titres were evoked by small doses given at multiple sites (4 or 8) on day 0, either by the id route, or by the sc route with or without adjuvant. One of the regimens tested, which uses a total of only 1.4-ml of HDCSV given on days 0, 7, 28 and 91, stimulated a rapid and high-titred antibody response sufficient to justify its evaluation in persons genuinely exposed to rabies.
KeywordsHand Panel Adjuvanted Vaccine Rabies Vaccine Human Diploid Cell Geometric Mean Titre
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bahmanyar M, Fayaz A, Nour-Salehi S, Mohammadi M and Koprowski H (1976) Successful protection of humans exposed to rabies infection. Postexposure treatment with the new human diploid cell rabies vaccine and antirabies serum. Journal of the American Medical Association, 236:2751–2754.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Nicholson KG (1982) Human diploid cell strain rabies vaccine. Internal Medicine for the Specialist. 3:53–61.Google Scholar
- 3.Trivedi CR (1981) Profile of dog-bites, rabies and default in antirabic immunisation at VSG Hospital, Ahmedabad. J. Ind. Med. Assoc. 76 134–136.Google Scholar
- 4.Veereraghavan N (1969) The value of 5 per cent Semple vaccine in human treatment; comparative mortality among the treated and untreated. The Pasteur Institute of Southern India, Coonoor. Annual Report of the Director, 1967 and Scientific report 1968. p 35–42. Dioscesan Press, Madras.Google Scholar
- 5.Vibulbandhitkij S (1980) Work report. Data from the rabies patients at Bamraatnaradul Hospital between 1971 and 1977. In Thongcharoen P, ed. Rabies. Bangkok Aksarasamai, 1980:235–51.Google Scholar
- 9.Nicholson KG, Prestage H, Cole PJ, Turner GS, Bauer SP (1981) Multisite intradermal antirabies vaccination: immune responses in man and protection of rabbits against death from street virus by postexposure administration of human diploid cell strain rabies vaccine. Lancet ii:915–917.CrossRefGoogle Scholar