Hypertension — Diagnosis and Treatment
Several reports of neonatal hypertension, once regarded as a rarity, have been published (Bauer et al. 1975; Plummer et al. 1976; Adelman 1978). With the availability of accurate instruments for measurement, blood pressure monitoring in newborns has become routine. Furthermore, with the introduction of indwelling umbilical artery catheters, the incidence of hypertension due to renal artery thrombosis has risen sharply.
KeywordsUric Acid Essential Hypertension Plasma Renin Activity Serum Uric Acid Level Renovascular Hypertension
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adelman RD (1978) Neonatal hypertension. Pediatr. Clin North Am 25: 99–110Google Scholar
- Adelman RD (1981) The epidemiology of neonatal hypertension. In: Giovannelli G, New MI, Gorini S (eds) Hypertension in children and adolescents. Raven, New York, pp 21–30Google Scholar
- deSwiet N, Fayers P, Shinehorne EA (1980) Systolic blood pressure in a population of infants in the first year of life. The Brompton study. Pediatrics 58: 722–729Google Scholar
- Gruskin AB, Perlman SA, Baluarte HJ, Morgenstern BZ, Polinsky MS, and Kaiser BA (1983) Primary hypertension in the adolescent: facts and unresolved issues. Proc NHLBI Workshop on juvenile hypertension, May 26–27. Bethesda MDGoogle Scholar
- Perlman SA, Polinsky MS, Gruskin AB, Prebis JW, et al (1983) Calcium homeostasis in adolescents with essential hypertension. Semin Nephrol 3: 149–158Google Scholar
- Prebis JW, Gruskin AB, Baluarte Hi, Polinsky KS, et al (1979) Dual response to furosemide (F) in hypertensive children and its relationship to hyperuricemia. American Heart Assoc, 33rd annual meeting, council on arteriosclerosis. Circulation II-207 (abstract)Google Scholar
- Prebis JW, Gruskin AB, Polinksy MS, Baluarte HJ (1980) Uric acid in childhood essential hypertension. In: Gruskin AB, Norman ME (eds) Developments in nephrology. Proc Fifth Int Pediatr Nephrol Symp. Martinus Nijhoff, Boston pp 122–126Google Scholar
- Pruitt AW (1983) Clinical pharmacology of anti-hypertensive drugs in children and adoles-cents. Proc NHLBI workshop on juvenile hypertension, May 26–27. Bethesda MDGoogle Scholar
- Smith WM (1982) Resetting of barostats revisted (Editorial) Arch Intern Med 142: 2263–2264Google Scholar