Antibiotic-Loaded Acrylic Cement (ALAC)
Since the use of antibiotic-loaded acrylic cement (ALAC) was first suggested by Buchholz and Engelbrecht (1970) as a prophylactic measure against infection following joint replacement operations, there has been a remarkable difference in the degree of its acceptance among European and North American surgeons. This was due to the justifiable caution of American colleagues with respect to potential complications (mechanical, allergic, toxic, and antimicrobial resistance). All these risks have been cited in early investigations and all would expose the surgeons using the material casually to serious criticism, if not litigation. However, as the years have gone by, such potential hazards have apparently not occurred. Frankly, I believe that many patients have been unnecessarily deprived of its use and subjected to old-fashioned operations such as resection arthroplasties or multiple-staged revision procedures; unnecessary infections may have followed joint replacements in a previously operated or infected field.
KeywordsBone Cement Joint Replacement Deep Infection Systemic Antibiotic Resection Arthroplasties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bayston, R. and Milner, R.D.G.: The sustained release of antimicrobial drugs from bone cement. J. Bone Joint Surg. 64B, 460, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.Blomgren, G.: Haematogenous infection of total joint replacement. Acta Orthop. Scand. 52 (Suppl. 18), 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Buchholz, H.W. and Engelbrecht, H.: Über die Depotwirkung einiger Antibiotika bei Vermischung mit dem Kunstharz Palacos. Der Chirurg. 41, 511, 1970.Google Scholar
- 4.Elson, R.A., Jephcott, A.E., McGechie, D.B. and Verettas, D.: Bacterial infection and acrylic cement in the rat. J. Bone Joint Surg. 59B, 452, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Rottger, J., Buccholz, H.W., Engelbrecht, E., and Siegel, A.: Indikation und Technik unter Verwendung von Refobacin-Palacos in der Gelenkprothetik. Akt. Prob. Chirurg. Orthop. 12, 197, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Schurmann, D.J., Swenson, E.W., and Piziali, R.L.: Bone cement with and without antibiotics: a study of mechanical properties. In, The Hip. Proc. Sixth Open Scientific Meeting of The Hip Society, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Wahlig, H., Dingeldein, E., Buchholz, H.W., Buchholz, M. and Bachmann, F.: Pharmacokinetic study of gentamicin-loaded cement in total hip replacements. J. Bone Joint Surg. 66B, 175, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Wannske, M. and Tscherne, H.: Ergebnisse prophylaktischer Anwendung von Refobacin-Palacos bei der Implantation von Endoprothesen des Hüftgelenkes in Hannover. Akt. Prob. Chirurg. Orthop. 12, 1979.Google Scholar