Class I MHC-Linked Determinants Expressed on Activated T Cells
Sensitized T-cells in mixed leukocyte culture possess HLA-D like antigens absent from nonactivated resting T cells. These antigens are synthesized by allostimulated T cells . T cell expression of HLA- DR antigens has been demonstrated by several investigators using a variety of methods [2–6]. On activated T cells, specific anti-HLA-DR antisera showed unexplained reactivity, distinguishable from HLA-DR reactivity . This antiblast activity had also been found in sera from multiparous women in which no anti-HLA-A, B, or DR antibodies were detectable . Gazit and co-workers postulated the existence of a genetic system specific to activated T cells, in close linkage disequilibrium with the HLA system. They named this the HT system and suggested that it might be a human correlate of the mouse TLa region. Two possible alleles of the postulated HT locus (HT1 or K, HT3 or SF48) were identified [9, 10]. The genetic polymorphism of the HT locus has recently been confirmed . The present study was undertaken to determine if sera from multiparous women clearly detected new determinants on blast cells different from the classical HLA-A, B, C antigens and similar to HTs. We also carried out this study to investigate the specificity of such determinants and their correlation with the HLA system.
KeywordsMultiparous Woman Mixed Leukocyte Culture Pool Platelet Close Linkage Disequilibrium Healthy Unrelated Donor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Metzgar RS, Bertoglio J, Anderson JK, Bonnard GD, Ruscetti FW (1979) Detection of HLA DRw (la-like) antigens on human T lymphocytes grown in tissue culture. Immunol 122: 949–953Google Scholar
- 4.De Wolf WC, Schlossman SF, Yunis EJ (1979) DRw antisera react with activated T cells. J Immunol 122: 1780–1784Google Scholar
- 5.Zimmerman R, Ozer H, DeWolf WC, Evans RL, Yunis EJ, Schlossman SF (1979) The detection of Ia like and DRw antigens on activated T cells. Transplant Proc 11: 1770–1773Google Scholar
- 12.Fauchet R, Bouhallier O, Genetet B (1980) B-cell typing by rosetting with treated sheep red blood cells. In: Terasaki PI (ed) Histocompatibility testing 1980. UCLA, Los Angeles, p 289Google Scholar
- 13.Charron D, Engleman EG, Benike CJ, McDevitt HO (1980) Ia antigens on alloreactive T cells in man detected by monoclonal antibodies: evidence for synthesis of HLA-D/DR molecules of the responder type. J Exp Med 152 : 127–136Google Scholar
- 14.Anderson LC, Gahmberg CG, Kimura AK, Wigzell (1978) Activated human T lymphocytes display new surface glycoproteins. Medical Sciences 75: 3455–3458Google Scholar
- 15.Boto WO, Humphreys RE (1981) Variation in the synthesis of membrane proteins of human T lymphocytes during mitogenic activation, recognition of a 70 000 dalton protein with anti-p23,30 heteroantiserum and a novel 42 000 dalton protein anti-44,12 heteroantiserum. J Immunol 126 : 759–760PubMedGoogle Scholar