A Mechanism for Spurious Solutions of Nonlinear Boundary Value Problems
Typically numerical approximation schemes for many nonlinear boundary value problems generate spurious solutions. By developing a dynamical system approach a mechanism is presented which is able to explain a certain class of such solutions. In essence the spurious solutions here are a consequence of structural changes such as bifurcations in the homoclinic structure of the associated dynamical system.
KeywordsManifold Lution Nite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Al]ALLGOWER, E. L.: On a discretization of y″ + λyk = o. Proc. Conf. Roy. Irish Acad., J. J. H. Miller (ed.), New York, Academic Press 1975, 1–15.Google Scholar
- [Be]BERRY, M. V.: Regular and irregular motion, in: Topics in Nonlinear Dynamics, S. Jorna (ed.), Amer. Inst. Phys. Conf. Proc., New York, 46, 16–120 (1978).Google Scholar
- NP] NUSSBAUM, R. D. and PEITGEN, H. O.: Special and spurious solution of x(t) = - αf(x(t-1)), to appearGoogle Scholar
- [P2]PEITGEN, H. O.: Phase transitions in the homoclinic regime of area preserving diffeomorphisms, Proc. Intern. Symp. on Synergetics, H. Haken (ed.), Springer Series in Synergetics. 17 197–214 (1982).Google Scholar
- PR] PEITGEN, H. O. and RICHTER, P. H.: Homoclinic bifurcation and the fate of periodic points, to appear.Google Scholar
- [PS]PEITGEN, H. O. and SCHMITT, K.: Positive and spurious solutions of nonlinear eigenvalue problems, in: Numerical solution of Nonlinear Equations, Allgower, E. L., Glashoff, K. and Peitgen, H. O. (eds.), Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics 878, 275–324 (1981).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- SS] STEPHENS, A. B. and SHUBIN, G. R.: Multiple solutions and bifurcation of finite difference approximations to some steady state problems of fluid dynamics, to appear.Google Scholar
- [V]VOGELAERE de, R.: On the structure of symmetric periodic solutions of conservative systems, with applications, in Contributions to the Theory of Nonlinear Oscillations, vol. 4, S. Lefschetz (ed.), Princeton University Press, 1968.Google Scholar