Heart Rate and Blood Lactate Level of 8–12-Years-Old Boys and Girls During Cross-country Ski-Competitions
Cross-country skiing is a popular winter sport in Finland. Participation in ski competitions has recently taken two new trends: Older people are taking part in ski marathons (40–75 km) and prepubertal children are participating in ski competitions. Christensen and Högberg (1950) were interested as early as 1950 in the stress the children underwent during ski competitions. According to measurements of pulse rate and proteinuria, they concluded that the 14–17-year-old children were pushed to maximum stress. The authors emphasize that the children should not compete over too long a distance.
KeywordsLactate Catecholamine Proteinuria Univer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christensen EH, Höberg P (1950) Physiology of skiing. Arbeitsphysiologie 14: 292–303Google Scholar
- Cumming GR, Hnatiuk A (1980) Establishment of normal values for exercise capacity in a hospital clinic. In: Berg K, Eriksson BO (eds) Children and exercise I X. University Park Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Eriksson BO (1972) Physical training, oxygen supply and muscle metabolism in 11-13 year old boys. Acta Physiol Scand [Suppl] 384Google Scholar
- Gaisl G, Buchberger J (1980) Determination of the aerobic and anaerobic thresholds of 10–11-year-old boys using blood-gas analysis. In: Berg K, Eriksson BO (eds) Children and exercise I X. University Park Press, BaltimoreGoogle Scholar
- Lehmann M, Kenl J, Korsten-Reck U (1981) The influence of graduated treadmill exercise on plasma catecholamines, aerobic and anaerobic capacity in boys and adults. Eur J Appl Physiol 47:301 –311Google Scholar
- Mácek M, Vávra J (1971) Cardiopulmonary and metabolic changes during exercise in children 6–14 years old. J Appl Physiol 30 (2): 202–204Google Scholar
- Saris WHM (1982) Aerobic power and daily physical activity in children with special reference to methods and cardiovascular risk indicators. Doctoral dissertation, Catholic University of NijmegenGoogle Scholar