Bone Tumors — Clinical and Radiologic Investigation
Malignant neoplasms of bone are rare. Their estimated annual incidence is less than one case per 100,000 population, but the incidence of these bone cancers is age related. They constitute approximately 5% of all malignant tumors in young persons under 18 years of age, and reach a peak incidence of 8% of all cancers in the age group of 15–19 years. Their incidence declines to only a fraction of l% of all malignant neoplasms after the age of 30. Osteosarcoma constitutes 40% of these tumors. Chondrosarcoma represents 20%, Ewing’s sarcoma 12%, and fibrosarcoma 5%. In the peak age group, ie, ages 12–18 years, 60% of the bone cancers are osteosarcoma and 30% are Ewing’s sarcoma. In the 30–60 year age group, the most common primary malignant tumor of bone is chondrosarcoma.
KeywordsAgar Sedimentation Sarcoma Resis Galium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- l.Bertelsen, C.A., Sondak, V.K., Mann, B.D., Korn, E.L., Morton, D.L., and Kern, D.H.: Chemosensitivity testing of human solid tumors- A review of 1582 assays with 263 clinical correlations. Cancer 1983, in press.Google Scholar
- 2.Chuang, V.P., Charnsangavey, C., Soo, C.S., Wallace, S., Benjamin, R.S., and Jaffe, N.: Radiographic and angiographic changes of osteosarcoma following intraarterial chemotherapy. Proc. Roent. Rad. A251, 1982.Google Scholar
- 6.Huth, J.F., Gupta, R.K., Eilber, F.R., and Morton, D.L.: A prospective postoperative evaluation of urinary tumor-associated antigens in sarcoma patients: correlation with disease recurrence. Cancer 1983, in press.Google Scholar
- 8.Lange, T.: Personal communication, 1983.Google Scholar
- 12.Parker, B.R., and Marglin, S.I.: Evaluation of full-lung tomography in children with newly diagnosed bone and soft-tissue sarcoma. Clin. Res. 26, 196A, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Pritchard, D.: Personal communication, 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.Rikitake, T., Tateno, Y., and Arimizu, N.: Osteosarcomas in 18F bone positron scintigram - Comparative study with 99MTC-pyrophosphate. Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zoshi 39, 620, 1979.Google Scholar