Saline Relics of Formation Water in the Wettersteinkalk and Their Genetical Connection with the Pb-Zn Mineralization
Small amounts of leachable salts have been observed occasionally in various carbonate rocks hosting Pb-Zn deposits. In order to determine the relation between the saline relics and the Pb-Zn mineralization a systematic analytical research has been carried out in the host rock sequence of the Bleiberg-Kreuth deposit. The contents of leachable (minor) components are ranging commonly between 5 and 5000 ppm.
The components might be derived from four different kinds of sources: (1) partial dissolution of host rock minerals (plus gypsum/anhydrite), (2) ions adsorped to clay minerals, (3) fluid inclusions in crystals, and (4) interstitial fluid remnants and salt crystals.
The leachable ion contents differ significantly between mineralized parts and barren host rock. Electrical conductivity of the leaches is correlated with the variation of the geochemical data and can be applied for rapid determinations.
The leachable components might be interpreted as saline remnants of migrated formation water or upwelling hot brine which have been trapped during the various stages of diagenesis.
KeywordsZinc Clay Quartz Sulfide Europe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barnes, H.L., Czamanske, G.K. (1967) Solubilities and transport of ore minerals. In: Barnes, H.L. (ed) Geochemistry of hydrothermal ore deposits. Wiley-Interscience, New York, p. 405–461Google Scholar
- Bechstädt, T. (1977) The lead-zinc deposit of Bleiberg-Kreuth (Carinthia, Austria): Palinspastic situation, paleogeography and ore mineralisation. Proc. 3. ISMIDA, Verh. Geol. B-A. 3: 47–61Google Scholar
- Brigo, L., Kostelka, L., Omenetto, P., Schneider, H.-J., Schroll, E., Schulz, O., Struci, I. (1977) Comparative reflections on four Alpine Pb-Zn deposits. In: Klemm, D.D., Schneider, H.-J. (eds) Time-and stratabound ore deposits. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, p. 274–293Google Scholar
- Karwowski, L., Kozlowski, A., Roedder, E. (1979) Gas-liquid inclusions in minerals of zinc and lead ores from the Silesia-Cracow region. Prace Inst. Geol. 95: 87–95Google Scholar
- Rozkowski, A., Rudzinski, T., Bukowy, S. (1979) Thermal brines as a potential source of the ore mineralization of the Silesia-Cracow ares. Prace Inst. Geol. 95: 59–82Google Scholar
- Schneider, H.-J. (1969) The influence of connate water on ore mobilization of lead-zinc deposits in carbonate sediments. In: Zuffardi, P. (ed) Remobilization of ores and minerals. Mulas, Cagliari:314–322Google Scholar