Seasonal Variability in the Position and Strength of the Fair Isle Current
The analysis of drift bottle data and water mass distributions in the northern North Sea indicates that the water circulation in this area varies seasonally (Tait 1937, Steele 1957). In this paper an attempt is made to quantify this variability using data from recording current meters deployed at similar positions in winter and summer. The winter observations were collected during the international cooperative exercise JONSDAP 76 (Ramster 1977) which took place in March/April 19 76 and two of the stations occupied during JONSDAP 76 were re-occupied in August 1977 to provide the summer observations.
KeywordsWind Stress Western Edge York Bight Water Mass Distribution Norwegian Coastal Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davies AM (1980) Application of numerical models to the computation of the wind-induced circulation of the North Sea during JONSDAP ‘76. “Meteor” Forschungsergebn Reihe A 22: 53–68.Google Scholar
- Dooley HD (1974) Hypothesis concerning the circulation of the northern North Sea. J Cons Explor Mer 36: 54–61.Google Scholar
- Dooley HD, Fumes G (1981) Influence of the wind field on the transport of the northern North Sea. Proc Symp Norwegian Coast Curr, Geilo, September 1980, University Bergen.Google Scholar
- Godin G (1972) The analysis of tides. University Toronto Press, p264.Google Scholar
- Hackett B (1981) The Feie — Shetland section: A hydrographic atlas Norwegian coastal current project, Rep 3, University Bergen.Google Scholar
- Heaps NS (1980) Density currents in a two-layered coastal system, with application to the Norwegian coastal current. Geophys J R Astron Soc 63: 289–310.Google Scholar
- Heaps NS, Jones JE (1977) Density currents in the Irish Sea. Geophys J R Astron Soc 51: 393–429.Google Scholar
- Neumann G (1968) Ocean Currents. Elsevier Pub, Amsterdam, p352.Google Scholar
- Neumann G, Pierson WJ (1966) Principles of physical oceanography. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Chip M J, p545.Google Scholar
- Ramster JW (1977) Development of cooperative research in the North Sea. The origins, planning and philosophy of JONSDAP ‘76. Mar Pol: 318-325.Google Scholar
- Riepma HW (1980) Residual currents in the North Sea during the INOUT phase of JONSDAP ‘76. “Meteor” Forschungsergeb Reihe A 22: 19–32.Google Scholar
- Tait JB (1937) The surface water drift in the northern and middle areas of the North Sea. Sci Invest Fish Board Scotland 1: 60.Google Scholar