Rhesus Macaques: Pertinence for Studies on the Toxicity of Chlorinated Hydrocarbon Environmental Pollutants
Polyhalogenated polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PHPAHs) — polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polybrominated biphenyls, polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated dibenzofurans, and polychlorinated naphthalenes — have been disseminated, knowlingly and by accident, into the environment for the past 40 years. In particular, PCBs have been extensively used as dielectrics in transformers and capacitors and as heat exchanger fluids; they have also been incorporated into paints, inks, sealers, and plastics. Although increasingly strict controls have been imposed on the uses of PHPAHs and on the uses of industrial products in which they are contaminants, they persist in the environment because they are chemically stable and poorly biodegradable. Accidental discharges of PCBs still occur, primarily from electrical equipment, and polychlorinated dibenzofurans and dibenzo-p-dioxins continue to be released in industrial accidents and as low-level contaminants in fungicides and herbicides.
KeywordsRhesus Macaque Sebaceous Gland Aryl Hydrocarbon Hydroxylase Arene Oxide Keratinous Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldstein JA, Hass JR, Linko P, Harvan DJ (1978) 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzofuran in a commercially available 99% pure polychlorinated biphenyl isomer identified as the inducer of hepatic cytochrome P-448 and aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase in the rat. Drug Metab Dispos 6: 258–264Google Scholar
- Herxheimer K (1899) Über Chlorakne. Muench Med Wochenschr 46: 278Google Scholar
- Kuratsune M (1976) Epidemiologic studies on Yusho. In: Higuchi W (ed) PCB poisoning and pollution. Academic Press, London New York, pp 9–23Google Scholar
- Miyata H, Kashimoto T, Kunita N (1977) Detection and determination of polychlorodibenzofurans in normal human tissues and Kanemi rice oils caused “Kanemi Yusho”. J Food Hyg Soc Jpn 18: 260–265Google Scholar
- Poland A, Glover E (1980) 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin: Segregation of toxicity with the Ah locus. Mol Pharmacol 17: 86–94Google Scholar
- Poland A, Greenlee WF, Kende AS (1979) Studies on the mechanism of action of the chlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and related compounds. Ann NY Acad Sci 321: 214–230Google Scholar
- Preston BD, Allen JR (1980) 2,2′,5,5′-Tetrachlorobiphenyl: Isolation and identification of metabolites generated by rat liver microsomes. Drug Metab Dispos 8: 197–204Google Scholar
- Shelly WB, Kligman AM (1957) Experimental production of acne by penta and hexachloronaphthalenes. Arch Dermatol 75: 689–695Google Scholar
- Urabe H, Koda H (1976) The dermal symptomatology of Yusho. In: Higuchi K (ed) PCB poisoning and pollution. Academic Press, London New York, pp 105–123Google Scholar