Chromosome Pairing, Crossing Over, Chiasma Formation and Disjunction as Revealed by Three Dimensional Reconstructions
In eukaryote meiosis four major events can be recognized: chromosome pairing, crossing over, chiasma formation and disjunction. The present paper is a brief summary on the characterisation of these events by three dimensional reconstructions of chromosomes and synaptonemal complexes (SC) from serially sectioned nuclei using primarily our own work as examples.
KeywordsRecombination Expense Tral Topo Isomerase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astaurov BL (1967) Adv Morphogenesis 6: 199–257Google Scholar
- Holm PB, Rasmussen SW (1980) Carlsberg Res Commun, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Janssens FA (1909) Cellule 25: 387–411Google Scholar
- Moses MJ (1977) In: de la Chappelle A, Sorsa M (eds) Chromosomes today, vol 6. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, p 474Google Scholar
- Rasmussen SW, Holm PB (1980) Hereditas, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Westergaard M, Wettstein D von (1970) Compt Rend Trav Lab Carlsberg 37: 239–268Google Scholar
- Whitehouse HLK (1973) Towards an understanding of the mechanism of heredity. 3rd edn. Edward Arnold, LondonGoogle Scholar