The Increase of Nephrocalcinosis (NC) in Rainbow Trout in Intensive Aquaculture
Spontaneous nephrocalcinosis (NC, urolithiassis) has been described in several species of salmonids in the wild (Herman, 1971; Landolt, 1975: Harrison, 1977) as well as in sea-farmed and freshwater-farmed rainbow trout (Mulcahy et al., 1980;Schlotfeldt, 1980). This can be confirmed from our own experiences. Different degrees of nephrocalcinosis were more or less regular additional findings in traditionally and extensively kept trout as well as being found sporadically in other salmonids from the wild, but in negligible percentages with no economic importance.
KeywordsMagnesium Nitrite Oxalate Apatite Kelly
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Harrison JG (1977) Salmonid renal histopathology. Proc 2nd Symp FAO/EIFAC. Coop Progr Res Aquacult Fish Dise (COPRAQ), Brest, France, 25.–28.10.1977Google Scholar
- Herman RL (1971) Visceral granuloma and nephrocalcinosis. US Bur Sport Fish Wildl Fish Dis Leafl 32:39Google Scholar
- Landolt ML (1975) Visceral granuloma and nephrocalcinosis of trout. In: Ribelin WE, Migaki G (eds) The pathology of fishes. The University of Wisconsin Press, Madison Wisconsin, pp 793 – 801Google Scholar
- Mulcahy MF, Collins N, McAuliffe T (1980) Nephrocalcinosis in seafarmed and freshwater farmed rainbow trout in Ireland. ICES Special Meeting on Diseases of Commercially Important Marine Fish and Shellfish, Copenhagen, 1–3 October 1980. Communication No. 21, pp 1–7Google Scholar
- Schlotfeldt HJ (1978) Praxisnahe Ergebnisse der 2. Tagung der FAO/EIFAC-COPRAQ (Gemeinschaftliche Forschungsprogramme in Aquakultur und Fischkrankheiten) in Brest, Frankreich vom 25.–28. Okt. 1977. Fisch Teichwirt 2:30–33Google Scholar
- Schlotfeldt HJ (1980) Some clinical findings of a several years survey of intensive aquaculture systems in Northern Germany, with special emphasis to gill pathology and nephrocalcinosis. European Inland Fisheries Advisory Commission. XI Session. Symposium on New Developments in the Utilization of Heated Effluents and of Recirculation Systems for Intensive Aquaculture. Stavanger, Norway, 28–30 May 1980. EIFAC/80/Symp.:E/75, pp 1–19Google Scholar