The contents of this volume will have demonstrated, more than any argument could do, that the dimensional and causal analysis of personality has produced a paradigm which shows all the classical signs of a scientific theory — including the presence of many anomalies and the suggestion of improvements in the theory by certain changes in some of its defining features. The chapter by Gray is particularly valuable in pointing up both the anomalies and the existence of alternative hypotheses. He does not mention one slightly embarrassing aspect of the paradigm, which can best be characterized as its almost excessive over-inclusiveness; there are many experimental findings which agree vaguely with what one might have anticipated, but which cannot in any rigorous sense be deduced from the theory. One or two examples may clarify this point.
KeywordsPeri Tempo Nigeria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Issa I (ed) (1981) Culture and psychopathology. University Park Press, MarylandGoogle Scholar
- Doreto A (1972) Comparative psychotherapy. Al-dine-Atherton, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Eysenck HJ (1967 a) The biological basis of personality. Thomas, SpringfieldGoogle Scholar
- Eysenck HJ (1967 b) Personality and extra-sensory perception. Soc Psych Res 44:55–71Google Scholar
- Eysenck HJ (1980 a) A psychological theory of hysteria. In: Roy A (ed) Hysteria. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Eysenck HJ (1980 b) A unified theory of psychotherapy, behaviour therapy and spontaneous remission. Z Psychol 1188:43–56Google Scholar
- Eysenck HJ (1980d) Psychopathie. In: Baumann U (ed) Klinische Psychologie: Trends in Forschung und Praxis, vol 3. Huber, BernGoogle Scholar
- Eysenck HJ, Eysenck SBG (1976) Manual of the Eysenck personality questionnaire. Hodder & Stoughton, San Diego LondonGoogle Scholar
- Eysenck HJ, Eysenck SBG (1981) Culture and personality abnormalities. In: Al-Issa I (ed) Culture and psychopathology. University Park Press, MarylandGoogle Scholar
- Franzen U (1979) Physiologische Grundlagen des Persönlichkeitsmerkmals. Introversion-Extraversion. Dissertation, Universität MarburgGoogle Scholar
- Harley TH, Sargent CL (1980) Trait and state factors influencing ESP performance in the Ganzfeld. In: Roll WG (ed) Research in Parapsychology. Scarecrow Press, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- Morris LW (1980) Extra version-Introversion: An interactionist perspective. Hemisphere, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Palmer J A (1977) Attitudes and personality traits in experimental ESP research. In: Wolman BB (ed) Handbook of parapsychology. Van Nostrand & Reinhold, New York, pp 175–201Google Scholar