Nephrotoxicity of Drugs, Evaluated by Renal Enzyme Excretion Studies
Via various pathways, urinary enzymatic activities are changed by drugs. Nephrotoxic effects may be determined by such investigations. Numerous experimental series have formed the basis for the clinical application of this method. The pertinent data collected with analgesics and antibiotics, alone or in combinations, are discussed in this paper. The data from the literature were compared with personal investigations, in animals as well as in man. It is concluded that — under certain precautions — the nephrotoxicity of drugs can be evaluated by renal enzyme excretion studies.
Key wordsBiochemical studies Enzymes in urine Enzymes in kidney Nephrotoxicity of drugs Analgesics Antibiotics Drug combinations Gentamicin Cefazedone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burchardt, U., Peters, J. E., Mampel, E.: Zum gegenwärtigen Stand der Harnenzymdiagnostik. Z. Ärztl. Fortbildung 69, 619–624 (1975a)Google Scholar
- Burchardt, U., Peters, J. E., Gründig, Chr. A.: Der Einfluß therapeutischer Gentamyzindosen auf die Enzymausscheidung im Harn. Z. Ges. Innere Med. 30, 265–268 (1975b)Google Scholar
- Mondorf, A. W.: Vergleichende Untersuchungen tubulotoxischer Wirkungen von Cephalosporinen und Aminoglykosiden. Schweiz. Med. Wschr. 107, 1639 (1977)Google Scholar
- Mondorf, A. W.: Investigations on the potential nephrotoxicity of cefazedone and gentamicin and of their combination, in comparison with the combination of cefazolin and cephalothin with gentamicin. Arzneimittelforsch. 29 (I) 2a, 449–452 (1979)Google Scholar
- Raab, W.: Nephrotoxicity of various aminoglycoside antibiotics, evaluated by renal enzyme excretion studies. Curr. Chemotherapy, Proc. 10th International Congr. Chemother., Zurich, 1977; Vol. 2, 938–939 (1978b)Google Scholar
- Raab, W.: Investigations on the action of cefazedone and gentamicin, alone and combined, on renal enzyme excretion in rats. Arzneimittelforsch. 29 (I) 2a, 433–434 (1979)Google Scholar