The Frequency of Spontaneous Abortion After Discontinuance of Oral Contraceptives
We have observed over the past few years a sharp increase in the number of spontaneous abortions in which the embryo was abnormally developed, and we began searching our patients’ medical histories for possible causes. Realizing that either primary damage to the germ cell or the inability of the endometrium to act as a nidation bed can lead to these symptoms, we focused our attention on the various drugs that have a noxious effect on ovary and endometrium. The logical step, of course, was to look at oral contraceptives, the consumption of which has risen very rapidly over the past 10 years.
KeywordsEstrogen Progesterone Dial Haas Norgestrel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boué J, Boué A, Zazar P (1975) The epidemiology of human spontaneous abortions with chromosomal anomalies, aging gametes. Blandau RJ (ed) Karger, BaselGoogle Scholar
- Carr DH (1969) Genetic factors in pregnancy wastage. Med Clin North Am 53: 5Google Scholar
- Knörr K, Haas B (1971) Cytogenetische Untersuchungen bei Einnahme von Ovulationshemmern. In: Kewitz H (Hrsg) Nebenwirkungen contraceptiver Steroide. Westkreuz, Berlin, p 116Google Scholar
- Del Mazo J, Abrisqueta JA (1979) Maternal origin of a trisomy 7 in a spontaneous abortion. Obstet Gynecol 53: 185Google Scholar
- McQuarrie HG, Scott CD, Ellsworth HS, Harris JW, Stone RA (1970) Cytogenetic studies on women using oral contraceptives and their progeny. J Obstet Gynecol 108: 659Google Scholar
- Plate WP (1967) Ovarian changes after long-term oral contraception. Acta Endocrinol (Kbh) 55: 71Google Scholar
- Pujol-Amat P, Urgell-Roca JM, Esterben-Altirriba J, Marquez-Ramirez M (1969) Studies of ovarian biopsies from women cyclically treated with the combination ethynodiol-diacetate and mestranol alone and together with human menopausal gonadotropin ( Pergonal) + HCG. Gynaecologica 167: 237Google Scholar
- Starup J (1967) The effect of gestagen and oestrogen treatment on the development of ovarian follicles: laboratory observations. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand [Suppl9] 46: 1Google Scholar