Prospects for Epidemiological Research in Neurosis
Review papers with short titles, such as this one, are dangerous. They invite us to believe that results of different studies about a certain subject — here the so-called neuroses — carried out at different times, in different places and on different populations are comparable and may be pooled. Given the deplorably confusing situation of the many existing definitions and concepts of neurosis, these studies are of course not comparable, and the danger of pooling them nevertheless is that they would seem to contribute to a cumulative body of knowledge about the natural history of a disease-like condition called neurosis. Thus, this concept of neurosis would be implicitly taken for granted, although it is still unclear. Instead of pooling results of different studies, I will try to show that the field covered by the term neurosis may profit from a critical reappraisal in the light of epidemiological research.
KeywordsDepression Schizophrenia Triad Dura Hypochondriasis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cooper, B.: Clinical and social aspects of chronic neurosis. Proc. R. Soc. Med. 65, 19–22 (1972)Google Scholar
- Hagnell, O.: The incidence and duration of episodes of mental illness in a total population. In: Psychiatric epidemiology. Hare, E.H., Wing, J.K. (eds.) London: Oxford University Press, 1970 pp. 213–224Google Scholar
- Harvey–Smith, E.A., Cooper, B.: Patterns of neurotic illness in the community. J. Roy. Cell. Gen. Practit. 19, 132–139 (1970)Google Scholar
- Katschnig, H., Shepherd, M.: Neurosis: the epidemiological perspective. In: Research in neurosis. van Praag, H.M. (ed.) pp. 5–21. Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema amf; Holkema 1976Google Scholar
- Katschnig, H., Strotzka, H.: Epidemiologie der Neurosen und psychosomatischen Storungen. In: Handbuch der Sozialmedizin. Blohmke, M., v.Ferber, Ch., Kisker, K.P., Schaefer, H. (eds.) pp. 272–310. Stuttgart: Enke 1977Google Scholar
- Langner, T.S., Michael, S.T.: Life stress and mental health. Toronto: Free Press of Glencoe, 1963Google Scholar
- Leighton, D.C., Harding, J.S., Macklin, D.B., Macmillan, A.M., Leighton, A.H.: The character of danger: Psychiatric symptoms in selected communities. New York: Basic Books, 1963Google Scholar
- Schepank, H.: Erb– und Umwelteinfliisse bei 50 neurotischen Zwillingspaaren. Z. Psychother. Med. Psychol. 27, 41–50 (1971)Google Scholar
- Taylor, L., Chave, S.: Mental health and environment. London: Longmans amf; Green 1964Google Scholar
- Watts, C.A.H.: Depressive disorders in the community. Bristol: Wright 1966Google Scholar