Some Results on the Dynamic Deformation of Copper
The influence of strain rate and strain rate history on the mechanical behaviour of copper single crystals has been studied by means of compression tests. The shear strain rate range 10-4s-1–8 103s-1 has been investigated. Dynamic tests were performed with an Hopkins on bar.
The strain rate behaviour can be divided into 2 regions. Above 103s-1 a linear relationship between shear stress and shear strain rates is observed. This can be explained by a viscous damping of dislocations. Static curves are sometimes over the dynamic ones depending of the strain rate.
Tests performed with change of strain rate have shown that strain rate history memory is never lost.
Results are compared with those obtained by tensile tests.
KeywordsTitanium Graphite Attenuation Mold Rubber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Campbell J.D. - Dynamic plasticity of metals. Udine 1970 -Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 6.Klepaczko J.; Duffy J. - Strain rate and temperature memory effects for some polycristalline f.c.c. metals in Mechanical Properties at high rates of strain. Institute of Physics conf. ser. N°21 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.Eleiche A.M.; Campbell J.D. - The influence of strain -rate history on the shear strength of copper and titanium at large strains. University of Oxford Report 1106/74 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.Senseny P.E.; Duffy J.; Hawley R.H. - The effect of strain rate and strain rate history on the flow stress of four close packed metals. Brown University Report (1976).Google Scholar
- 10.Dormeval R.; Stelly M.; Caput M. - Comportement en traction dynamique de monocristaux de cuivre — ICSMA 4 proceedings Nancy France (1976) Vol.3. 1141–1145.Google Scholar
- 11.Caput M. - Private communication.Google Scholar
- 12.Buchalet C. - Etude théorique et expérimentale des essais de traction à grande vitesse. Recherche d’un modèle général de comportement — Rapport CEA R-4162 (1970).Google Scholar
- 14.Taylor G.I. - The distortion of crystals of aluminium under compression. in the scientific papers of G.I. Taylor Vol. 1. 205 — Ed. Batchelor Cambridge 1958.Google Scholar
- 15.Yoshida S.; Nagata N. - Deformation of Aluminium single crystals at high strain rates. Trans. JIM 8 (1967) 26–32.Google Scholar
- 16.Nagata N.; Yoshida S. - Deformation of copper single crystals and polycrystals at high strain rates. Trans. JIM 13 (1972) 332–338.Google Scholar
- 17.Larrecq M. - Comportement mécanique de monocristaux d’aluminium. CEA Internal Report 1976.Google Scholar
- l8.DeVáult G.P. - The effect of lateral inertia in the propagation of plastic strain in a cylindrical rod. J. Mech. Phys. Solids 13 (1965) 5.Google Scholar
- 20.Klahn D.; Mukherjee A.K.; Dorn J.E. - Strain rate effects. ICSMA 2 Proceedings Asilomar (1970) Vol.3. 951–982.Google Scholar