On the Transient Response of Long Beams Subjected to High Velocity Transverse Impact
This paper deals with the plastic deformation of long beams subjected to high velocity transverse impact. The effects of rotary inertia, shear force and strain-rate on the transient response are discussed from the theoretical and experimental results for pure aluminum. It is shown that the deflection curves calculated by the strain-rate dependent traveling-wave theory are in much better agreement with the experimental results than those obtained by the elementary theory. In this computation, the linearized constitutive equations by Malvern are used. The values of the strain-rate constants used in the computation were obtained from the high velocity compression and high angular velocity torsional tests on the same material.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).M.F.Conroy, “Plastic-Rigid Analysis of Long Beams under Transverse Impact Loading,” J.Appl.Mech., Vol.74, p.465 (1952)Google Scholar
- 3).E.H.Lee and P.S.Symonds, “Large Plastic Deformations of Beams under Transverse Impact,” J.Appl.Mech., Vol.74, p.308 (1952)Google Scholar
- 4).E.W.Parks, “The Permanent Deformation of a Cantilever struck Transversely at its Tip,” Proc.Roy.Soc.London, A228, p.462 (1955)Google Scholar
- 5).W.Flügge, Die Ausbreitung von Biegungswellen in Staben; Z.A.M.M., Bd.22, Nr.6, Dec. p.312 (1942)Google Scholar
- 6).H.J.Plass, Jr., “Theory of Plastic Bending Waves in a Bar of Strain Rate Material,” Proc. 2nd Midwestern conf. on Solid Mech., p.109 (1955)Google Scholar
- 9).S.Kawashima and R.Kawamura, “An Investigation of the Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Bars at High Rates of Loading,” Trans.Japan Soc. Aero. Space. Sci., Vol. 13, No.22, p.27 (1970)Google Scholar
- 10).S.Kawashima, et. al., “On the Effect of Strain-rate for shear Deformation,” Preprint. Presented at the 18th Conference on Structure and Strength (1976), (Japan soc. Aero. Space Sci. and Japan Soc. Mech. Eng.), to be published in the Transaction of the Japan Soc. Aero. Space Sci.Google Scholar
- 11).S.Kawashima and H.Okubo, “On the Plastic Deformation of the Aluminum Beams under High Velocity Transverse Impact,” Technology Rep. Kyushu Univ., Vol.42, No.3 (1961)Google Scholar
- 12).S.Kawashima and H.Okubo, “On the Effects of Strain-rate for the Transient Response of Beams under High Velocity Transverse Impact.” Preprint, Presented at the Symposium of Western branch of Japan Soc. Aero. Space Sci. (1974)Google Scholar
- 13).S.Kawashima and H.Okubo, “On the Transient Response of the Aluminum Beams under High Velocity Transverse Impact.” Preprint. Presented at the 17th Conference on Structure and Strength (1975), (Japan Soc. Aero.Space Sci. and Japan Soc. Mech. Eng.)Google Scholar