Hormonal Regulation of Catecholamine Metabolism in the Rat Brain
The central adrenergic system plays an important role in the release of corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH; corticoliberin) and ACTH (FUXE et al., 1970; SCHALYAPINA and RAKITSKAYA, 1976). This system also participates in the transmission of nerve signals to the hypothalamus. The histochemical-fluorescence technique has revealed the presence of monoaminergic neurons and terminals in several hypothalamic areas. Corticosteroids penetrate and are bound in the hypothalamus, in the limbic system, and in the cortex. Their presence in the latter has an inhibitory effect on the pituitary-adrenal system either by modulation or by negative feedback. The mechanism of this effect is not yet clear.
KeywordsDopamine Corticosteroid Hydrocortisone Dexamethasone Noradrenaline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avakian, V.M., Callingham, B.O.: An effect of adrenalectomy upon catecholamine metabolism. Br. J. Pharmocol. 33, 211–215 (1968)Google Scholar
- Falck, B., Owman, Ch.: A detailed methodological description of the fluorescence method for the cellular demonstration of biogenic monoamines. Acta Univ. Lund II, 3–31 (1965)Google Scholar
- Fuxe, K., Hokfelt, T., Jonsson, G.: Participation of central monaminergic neurones in the regulation of anterior pituitary secretion. In: Neurochemical Aspects of Hypothalamic Regulation, 1970Google Scholar
- Manuchin, B.N., Pustovoitova, Z.E.: Determination of adrenaline, noradrenaline, dopamine and dopa in tissues. Lab. Dela 2, 102–105 (1969)Google Scholar
- Rakitskaya, V.V., Schalyapina, V.G.: The noradrenaline content in the brain of adrenalectomized animals. Physiol. J. USSR 59, 1337–1339 (1973)Google Scholar
- Schalyapina, V.G.: Adrenal cortex hormones and brain catecholamines. In: Adrenal Cortex Hormones and the Central Nervous System, Leningrad, 1970Google Scholar
- Schalyapina, V.G., Rakitskaya, V.V.: Participation of brain monoamines in hypothalamic regulation of ACTH secretion. Usp. Physiol. Nauk. 7, 145–160 (1976)Google Scholar