Macromolecular Events Following Nutritional Shift-Up of Tetrahymena
Tetrahymena pyriformis is a unicellular eukaryotic organism that has been much used in biochemical and physiologic studies of the cell cycle and the control of cell growth and division (Hill, 1972; Elliott, 1973). Tetrahymena has a short generation time (2 1/2 h under most conditions), can be readily grown in large amounts, is readily labelled by nucleic acid and protein precursors, and both enzymes and nucleic acids from these cells are readily isolated and handled. Also, recent technical advances have made mutant isolation and genetic analysis with this organism very feasible (Gardonio et al., 1975; Orias and Bruns, 1975).
KeywordsElectrophoresis Methotrexate Gall Macromolecule Dodecyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Elliott, A.M.: Biology of Tetrahymena. Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania 1973Google Scholar
- Engberg, J., Collins, J., Andersson, P., Leick, V.: The free rDNA molecules from Tetrahymena pyriformis GL are giant polindromes. J. Mol. Biol. (1976)Google Scholar
- Engberg, J., Mowat, D., Pearlman, R.E.: Preferential replication of the ribosomal RNA genes during a nutritional shift-up in Tetrahymena pyriformis. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 272, 312–320 (1972)Google Scholar
- Gardonio, E., Crerar, M., Pearlman, R.E.: Manipulations with Tetrahymena pyriformis on solid medium. Methods in Cell Biology (ed. D.M. Prescott) Academic Press Vol. IX, 329–348 (1975)Google Scholar
- Hill, D.L.: Biochemistry and Physiology of Tetrahymena. New York: Academic Press 1972Google Scholar
- Karrer, K.M., Gall, J.G.: The macronuclear ribosomal DNA of Tetrahymena pyriformis is a palindrome. J. Mol. Biol (1976)Google Scholar
- Leick, V., Tønnesen, T., Engberg, J., Nilsson, J.R.: Nucleolar reorganization in Tetrahymena pyriformis GL during a nutritional shift-up; timing of ribosomal RNA transcription and ribosomal DNA replication. Proceedings of the 9th Conference of the Nordic Society for Cell Biology, Odense University Press, Denmark 1975Google Scholar
- Orias, E., Bruns, P.: Induction and isolation of mutants in Tetrahymena. Methods in Cell Biology (ed. D.M. Prescott). New York: Academic Press 1975Google Scholar
- Salamone, M., Pearlman, R.E.: Abstract to annual meeting of American Society for Cell Biology Puerto Rico 1975Google Scholar