Advertisement

Is Reversibility of Ventricular Function Disorders Predictable? (Postextrasystolic, Epinephrine, and Postnitroglycerin Ventriculography)

  • M. V. Herman
Part of the International Boehringer Mannheim Symposia book series (BOEHRINGER)

Abstract

In subjects with coronary heart disease, the ventriculogram provides important data about the size, shape, and ejection pattern of the left ventricle. Studies of the motion of individual segments of the myocardium can provide information about local disturbances in contraction (asynergy), as well as information about the residual contractile pattern of normal zones of the ventricle. Approximately 35% of patients referred for the assessment of clinical coronary artery disease show a normal ventricular contraction pattern at rest. The remaining 65% will demonstrate some typle of resting left ventricular asynergy. Prior studies have reported that these abnormalities are most commonly seen in patients with previous myocardial infarction, but asynergy can also occur without evidence of infarction. The patterns may range from the classic well-demarcated bulging left ventricular aneurysm to various types and degrees of contour. Asynergic segments may be dyskinetic, akinetic, or hypokinetic, and the area may be composed of muscle or scar or both. A disturbed temporal sequence of contraction (asynchrony) may also be observed.

Keywords

Contractile Reserve Epinephrine Infusion Left Ventricular Aneurysm Rapid Atrial Pace Clinical Coronary Artery Disease 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Ist die Reversibilität von ventrieulären Funktionsstörungen voraussagbar (postextrasystolische -, Epinephrin- und Nitroglycerin-Ventriculographie)?

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Herman, M.V., Gorlin, R.: Implications of left ventricular asynergy. Amer. J. Cardiol. 23, 538–547 (1969)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Pasternack, A., Gorlin, R., Sonnenblick, E.H. et al.: Abnormalities of ventricular motion induced by atrial pacing in coronary artery disease. Circulation. 45, 1195–1205 (1972)Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Horn, H.R., Teichholz, L.E., Cohn, P.F. et al.: Augmentation of left ventricular contraction pattern in coronary artery disease by an inotropic catecholamine, the epinephrine ventriculogram. Circulation. 49, 1163–1171 (1974)Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Dyke, S.H., Cohn, P.F., Gorlin, R., Sonnenblick, E.H.: Detection of residual myocardial function in coronary artery disease using post-extrasystolic potentiation. Circulation. 50, 694–699 (1974)PubMedGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Cohn, P.F., Gorlin, R., Herman, M.V. et al.: Relation between Contractile Reserve and Prognosis in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and a Depressed Ejection Fraction. Circulation. 51, 414–420 (1975)PubMedGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Heifant, R.H., Pine, R., Meister, S.G., Feldman, M.S., Trout, R.G., Banka, V.S.: Nitroglycerin to unmask reversible asynergy. Correlation with post coronary bypass ventriculography. Circulation. 50, 108–113 (1974)Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag Berlin · Heidelberg 1976

Authors and Affiliations

  • M. V. Herman

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations