Membrane Transport: Theoretical Background
It is the aim of this Chapter to set out and to classify the equations that seem most useful to those who work on transport across biological membranes. So that they may be the more confidently used—or rejected—the equations will be accompanied by details of the assumptions upon which they are based. The intention is to be of service; the licence is claimed, which is allowed to some servants, to pass occasional moral judgements.
KeywordsPermeability Phenol Nism Valinomycin Dinitro
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hodgkin, A.L., Katz, B.: The effect of sodium ions on the electrical activity of the giant axon of the squid. J. Physiol. (London) 108, 37–77 (1949).Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, A. L., Keynes, R.D.: The potassium permeability of a giant nerve fibre. J. Physiol. (London) 128, 61–68 (1955).Google Scholar
- Hope, A.B., Walker, N. A.: Ionic relations of cells of Chara australis IV. Membrane potential differences and resistances. Australian J. Biol. Sci. 14, 26–44 (1961).Google Scholar
- House, C.R.: Water transport in cells and tissues. London: Edward Arnold 1974.Google Scholar
- Johnson, F.H., Eyring, H., Polissar, M.J.: The kinetic basis of molecular biology. New York: Wiley and Sons 1954.Google Scholar
- Katchalsky, A., Curran, P.D.: Non-equilibrium thermodynamics in biophysics. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press 1965.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, P.: Translocations through natural membranes. Advan. Enzymol. 29, 33–87 (1967).Google Scholar
- Mitchell, P.: Reversible coupling between transport and chemical reactions. In: Membranes and ion transport (E.E. Bittar, ed.), vol. I, p. 192–356. New York: Wiley and Sons 1970.Google Scholar
- Moreton, R. B.: An investigation of the electrogenic sodium pump in snail neurones, using the constant-field theory. J. Exptl. Biol. 51, 181–201 (1969).Google Scholar
- Spanner, D.C.: The active transport of water under temperature gradients. Symp. Soc. Exptl. Biol. 8, 76–93 (1954).Google Scholar
- Thain, J.F.: Principles of osmotic phenomena. London: Roy. Inst. Chem. 1967.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. A., Hope, A.B.: Membrane fluxes in electric conductance in characean cells. Australian J. Biol. Sci. 22, 1179–1195 (1969).Google Scholar