Screening Medicines for Teratogenicity: Problems of Interpretation
It is some 12 years since screening for teratogenicity became an important part of the toxicity tests on new substances, especially medicines. Yet tests in use until now are not generally regarded as satisfactory, and the degree of protection they afford to mankind is unknown.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brent, R. L.: Drug testing for teratogenicity: its implications, limitations and application to man. pp. 31–43 in Klingberg, M. A., Abramovici, A. and Chemke, J. (Eds.): Drugs and Fetal Development. New York: Plenum Press 1972.Google Scholar
- Li, C. C: Introduction to Experimental Statistics. Ch. 30: Multiple measurements (pp. 403 to 415). New York: McGraw-Hill 1964.Google Scholar
- Marriott, F. H. C: The Interpretation of Multiple Observations. New York: Academic Press 1974.Google Scholar
- Palmer, A. K.: Problems associated with the screening of drugs for possible teratogenic activity. Ch. 2 (pp. 16–33) in Woollam, D. H. M. and Morris, G. M. (Eds.): Experimental Embryology and Teratology 1. London: Elek Science (1974 a).Google Scholar
- Snedecor, G. W., Cochran, W. G.: Statistical Methods. 6th Ed., pp. 324–329. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press 1967.Google Scholar
- Sokal, R. R., Rohlf, F. J.: Biometry. Ch. 13: Assumptions of the analysis of variance (pp. 367–402). San Francisco: Freeman 1969.Google Scholar
- Tuchmann-Duplessis, H.: Design and interpretation of teratogenic tests, pp.56–87 in Robson, J. M., Sullivan, F. M. and Smith, R. L. (Eds.): A Symposium on Embryopathie Activity of Drugs. London: Churchill 1965.Google Scholar
- W.H.O.: Principles for the testing of drugs for teratogenicity. Wld. Hlth Org. techn. Rep. Sen, 364 (1967).Google Scholar
- Wilson, J. G.: Environment and Birth Defects. Ch. 9: Collection and interpretation of results (pp. 173–193). New York: Academic Press 1973.Google Scholar
- Wilson, J. G.: Factors determining the teratogenicity of drugs, pp.205–217 in Elliott, H. W., Okun, R. and George, R. (Eds.): Ann. Rev. Pharmacol. 14. Palo Alto, Calif.: Annual Reviews Inc (1974).Google Scholar