Chemistry of Organic Nitrates
It is the purpose of this chapter to discuss the physical and chemical properties of organic polynitrates of pharmacological interest (Fig. 1). This chapter is not designed as a thorough review of the chemistry of all organic nitrates, most of which have been prepared for studies of explosive properties. For more complete reviews and more theoretical considerations the reader is referred to the reviews by Boshan et al. (1955); Cannon (1970), and the books by Urbanski (1965) and Smith (1966).
KeywordsGlyceryl Trinitrate Isosorbide Dinitrate Organic Nitrate Partial Nitration Nitrate Ester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atlas Pharmaceutical Bulletin, Atlas Powder Company, Wilmington, Delaware, 1959.Google Scholar
- Cannon, N.W.: Nitrate esters. Eastman Organic Chemical Bull. 42, (1970).Google Scholar
- Dunstan, I., Griffiths, J. V., Harvey, S.A.: Nitric esters. Part I. Characterization of the isomeric glycerol dinitrates. J. chem. Soc. (Lond.) 1319–1324 (1965).Google Scholar
- Lawrie, J. W.: Glycerol and the glycols, p.377. New York: Chemical Catelog Co. 1928.Google Scholar
- Millar, I.T., Springall, H.D., Eds.: Sidgwick’s organic chemistry of nitrogen. 3rd edition, p.87–94. Oxford: Clarenden Press 1966.Google Scholar
- Needleman, P., Johnson, E.M., Jr.: Mechanism of tolerance development to organic nitrates. J. Pharm. exp. Ther. 184, 709–715 (1973).Google Scholar
- Sammul, Oscar R., Brannon, W.L., Hayden, A.L.: Infrared spectra of some compounds of pharmaceutical interest. J. Ass. Offic. Agr. Chem. 47, 918–991 (1964).Google Scholar
- Smith, P.A.S.: Open-chain nitrogen compounds, Vol.2, pp. 483–490. New York: W.A. Benjamin 1966.Google Scholar
- Urbanski, T.: Chemistry and technology of explosives. New York: MacMillan Co. 1965.Google Scholar