The DCP was developed in 1965 and subsequently tested in 780 experimental fractures and osteotomies in a variety of animals: rats , rabbits , sheep , dogs and horses. Unrestricted postoperative weight bearing without external fixation devices was mandatory. The experiments performed with instrumented DCPs proved conclusively that compression and, therefore, stability of fixation were maintained. Clinical trials have been in progress since 1965 in one clinic and since 1969 in five clinics. First reports are very favourable. More than 1500 human cases have now been treated with the DCP, and the plate has been released for general use.