Metabolic Events in the Regulation of Cell Reproduction
How the processes of growth and division are regulated in cells is one of the most fascinating problems of modern biology. Within the last two decades the research in this area of biology has undergone rapid change. The cell cycle is no longer regarded naively as a period of steady uniform growth between one cell division and the next. Instead, observations have led us to regard the growth and division of cells as a series of ordered chemical changes with precise temporal control mechanisms.
KeywordsGlutamine Methotrexate Stein Adenine Prednisolone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Friedman, D.L., Mueller, G.C.: A nuclear system for DNA replication from synchronized HeLa cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 161, 455–468 (1968).Google Scholar
- Galavazi, G., Schenk, H., Bootsma, D.: Synchronization of mammalian cells in vitro by inhibition of the DNA synthesis. I. Optimal conditions. Exp. cell Res. 41, 428–437 (1966).Google Scholar
- Gelbard, A.S., Km, J., Perez, A.: Fluctuations in deoxycytidine monophosphate deaminase activity during the cell cycle in synchronous populations of HeLa cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 182, 564–566 (1969).Google Scholar
- Gold, M., Helleiner, C.W.: Deoxyribonucleic acid polymerase in L-cells. I. Properties of the enzyme and its activity in synchronized cell cultures. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 80, 193–203 (1964).Google Scholar
- Hungerford, D.A., Donnelly, A.J., Nowell, P.C, Beck, S.: The chromosome constitution of a human phenotypic intersex. Amer. J. Human Genet. 11, 215–236 (1959).Google Scholar
- Mueller, G.C.: Biochemical perspectives of the G 1 and S intervals in the replication cycle of animal cells: A study in the control of cell growth. In: The cell cycle and cancer 1, 269–307. New York: Marcel Dekker 1971.Google Scholar
- Mueller, G.C, Kajiwara, K.: Actinomycin D and p-fluorophenylalanine, inhibitors of nuclear replication in HeLa cells. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 119, 557–565 (1966).Google Scholar
- Murphree, S.A.: Temporal variation of enzyme activity and adenosine nucleotide pools during the cell cycle of mammalian cells in culture. Ph. D. Thesis. The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, Texas, U.S.A. (1972).Google Scholar
- Prescou, D.M.: Regulation of cell reproduction. Cancer Res. 28, 1815–1820 (1968).Google Scholar
- Salas, J., Green, H.: Proteins binding to DNA and their relation to growth in cultured mammalian cells. Nature (Lond.) 229, 165–169 (1971).Google Scholar
- Stubblefield, E.: Synchronization methods for mammalian cell cultures. In: Methods in cell physiology 3, 25–43. New York: Academic Press 1968.Google Scholar
- Watson, J.D.: The regulation of DNA synthesis in eukaryotes. Advanc. cell Biol. 2, 1–46 (1971).Google Scholar