Codetermination in West Germany: Institutions and Experiences: Comment
- 26 Downloads
Professor Nutzinger has written a succinct review of empirical research into German codetermination. In my comments I will dwell on some of his main points and, by reference to recent empirical work on producer (industrial/worker) cooperatives and British retail cooperatives (in which there are worker directors), I will show how these arguments have broader applicability.
KeywordsProductivity Effect Work Cooperative Work Participation Work Representation Producer Cooperative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bullock, A. (1977), Committee of Inquiry on Industrial Democracy, London: HMSO Cmnd. 6706.Google Scholar
- Defourny, J., Estrin, S., and Jones, D.C. (1985), “The Effects of Worker Participation on Enterprise Performance: Empirical Evidence from French Cooperatives”,International Journal of Industrial Organisation 197–217.Google Scholar
- Espinosa,J.,and Zimbalist, A.(1978),Economic Democracy, New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Estrin,S., and Jones, D.C. (1984), “Production, Workers’ Participation and Enterprise Characteristics: A simultaneous equation approach”,unpublished manuscript, Hamilton College, Department of Economics, Clinton, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Estrin, S.,Jones, D.C., and Svejnar, J. (1983), The Varying Nature, Importance and Productivity Effects of Worker Participation: Evidence for contemporary producer cooperatives in industrialied Western economies. CIRIEC Working paper. Liège, Belgium: University of Liège.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.C.,(1979), “U.S. Producer Cooperatives: The Record to Date”, Industrial Relations, vol. 18, 342–357.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.C.,(1985), “What Difference do Worker Directors make? Evidence for the Case of British Retail Cooperatives”, unpublished manuscript, Hamilton College, Department of Economics, Clinton,N.Y.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.C., and Svejnar, J., eds. (1982),Participatory and Self-Managed Firms:Evaluating Economic Performance,Lexington,Mass.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.C., eds. (1985), Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and labor managed firms, vol.l. Greenwich, Conn.: J.A.I Press.Google Scholar
- Svejnar, J.,(1982), “Codetermination and Productivity: Empirical Evidence from the Federal Republic of Germany”, in: Participatory and Self-Managed Firms: Evaluating Economic Performance,eds. D.C. Jones and J. Svejnar. Lexington, Mass.Google Scholar