A preliminary study on the reduction of the concentration of trace metals in wastewater during its storage in stabilization reservoirs was made by Kaplan et al. (1987) in a reservoir receiving effluents with 180 mg BOD l-1 from the sewage treatment plant of Beersheva, Israel. These authors reported a reduction of 30-40% in the concentration of Cu, Zn, Pb and Cd. The main limitation of these data is that, being the reservoir a nonsteady-state reactor with seasonal outflow, a reduction in concentration is not a direct measurement of the actual removal of heavy metals.
KeywordsTrace Metal Faecal Coliform Metal Removal Sediment Trap Oxidation Pond
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APHA, AWWA, WPCF (1989) Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 17th ednGoogle Scholar
- Azov Y, Shelef G (1991) Effluents quality along a multiple stage wastewater reclamation system for agricultural reuse. Wat Sci Tech 23(10-12)2119–2126Google Scholar
- Carre J, Baron D, Legeas M, Maurin J (1986) Heavy metal, bacterial, and viral contamination of sewage sludges in oxidation ponds. Environ Technol Lett 7(2)1119–27Google Scholar
- Fergusson J (1990) The heavy metals: Chemistry, environmental impact and health effects. Pergamon Press, 614 ppGoogle Scholar
- Ghosh TK, Kshirsagar SR, Kshirsagar DG, Kumar A (1985) Leachability of heavy metals through waste stabilization ponds. Asian Environ 6(5)129-34Google Scholar
- Kaiser KLE (1980) Correlation and prediction of metal toxicity to aquatic biota. J Fish Res, Board of Can 37(2)211–218Google Scholar
- Leeden F, Troise F, Todd D (1990) The water encyclopedia. Lewis Publ. Inc., 2nd edn, USA, 808 ppGoogle Scholar
- Rebhun M, Ronen D, Eren J (1987) Monitoring and study program of an inter-regional wastewater reclamation system for agriculture. Journal WPCF 59(5)1242–248Google Scholar
- Ronen D, Kanfi Y, Rebhun M (1975) Trace metals in Israel groundwater: The coastal plain aquifers. Water Commission, Report 75(1)Google Scholar
- Smillie RH, Loutit M (1982) Removal of metals from sewage in an oxidation pond system. NZJ Sci, 25(4)371–6Google Scholar
- Suffern JS, Fitzgerald CM, Szluha A (1981) Trace metal concentrations in oxidation ponds. J Wat Pollut Control Fed 53(11)1599–608Google Scholar