Visualisation and Classification with Artificial Life
Systems that possess the ability of emergence through self-organization are a particular promising approach to Data Mining. In this paper, we describe a novel approach to emerging self organizing systems: artificial life forms, called DataBots, simulated in a computer show collective behavioural patterns that correspond to structural features in a high dimensional input space. Movement strategies for DataBots have been found and tested on a real world data set. Important structural properties could be found and visualized by the collective organisation of the artificial life forms.
KeywordsData Mining Artificial Life Movement Strategy Multivariate Time Series Movement Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- HAKEN, H. (1974): Synergetics, an Introduction, Springer, Berlin 1974Google Scholar
- MALORNY, D., MÜLLER,I. and MÜNCHBERG, F.(1998): Realization of UD- Universes, Technical Note, Department of Computer Science, University of Marburg, Hans-Meerwein- Str., 35032 Marburg, 25. Apr. 1998 Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A.(1993): Self-organizing Neural Networks for Visualization and Classification, in O. Opitz, B. Lausen and R. Klar, (Eds.) Information and Classification, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 307–313, 1993 Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A. (1995): Self-Organizing Neural Networks Perform Different from Statistical k-means clustering, Gesellschaft f. Klassifikation, Basel 8th - 10th March, 1995Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A. (1996): Self Organizing Neural Networks perform different from statistical k-means clustering, In: M. van der Meer, R. Schmidt, G. Wolf, (Eds.): BMBF Statusseminar, pp. 433 - 443, München. April 1996.Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A.(1998): The Integration of Connectionist Models with Knowledge- based Systems: Hybrid Systems, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE SMC 98 International Conference on Systems, Men and Cybernetics, 11–14 October 1998, San Diego Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A.(1998): Umgebungsdynamik Universen, Technical Note, Department of Computer Science, University of Marburg, Hans-Meerwein- Str., 35032 Marburg, 25. Apr. 1998 Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A.(1999a): Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery with Self-Organzing Feature Maps for Multivariate Time Series,in Oja,E., Kaski,S.: Kohonen Maps, p 33–46, Elsevier, 1999. Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A.(1999b): Clustering with Data Bots, Research Report No. 19, Department of Computer Science, University of Marburg, 1999 Google Scholar
- ULTSCH, A. and SIEMON, H.P.(1990): Kohonen’s Self Organizing Feature Maps for Exploratory Data Analysis, Proc. Intern. Neural Networks, Kluwer Academic Press, Paris, 1990, pp. 305 – 308 Google Scholar
- ZUPAN, J. and GASTEIGER, J.(1993): Neural Networks for Chemists, VCH, Weinheim New York, 1993 Google Scholar