Classification of Single Malt Whiskies
Tasting notes in 10 recently published books on malt whisky were coded and analysed for 84 single malt whiskies. Over 400 aromatic and taste descriptors were identified and grouped into 12 sensory features, from which a synonymy of the whisky literature was developed. The 84 malt whiskies were then clustered into 10 groups using the FocalPoint clustering method in ClustanGraphics. An industry survey to validate the classification is described, and applications in product design, brand management and marketing are discussed. A tutored tasting of selected single malt whiskies follows the technical presentation.
KeywordsSensory Feature Brand Management Preliminary Classification Flavour Profile Impulse Purchasing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARTHUR, H. (1997), The Single Malt Whisky Companion: A Connoisseur’s Guide, Apple Press, London.Google Scholar
- BROOM, D. (1998), Whisky: A Connoisseur’s Guide, Carlton, London.Google Scholar
- JACKSON, M. (1995), Malt Whisky Companion, Dorling Kindersley, London. (Also published in 1989).Google Scholar
- LERNER, D. (1997), Single Malt and Scotch Whiskies, Könemann, Köln.Google Scholar
- MACLEAN, C. (1997), Malt Whisky, Mitchell Beazley, London.Google Scholar
- MILROY, W. (1995), The Malt Whisky Almanac, Neil Wilson Publishing, Glasgow.Google Scholar
- MURRAY, J. (1997), The Complete Guide to Whisky, Carlton, London.Google Scholar
- NOWN, G. (1997), Malt Whisky: A Comprehensive Guide for both Novice and Connoisseur, Salamander, London.Google Scholar
- SHAW, C. P. (1997), Classic Malts, HarperCollins, Glasgow.Google Scholar
- TUCEK, R., and LAMOND, J. (1997), The Malt Whisky File, Canongate Books, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- WISHART, D. (1988), Using hierarchical classification in information retrieval and diagnosis. In H.-H. Boch (Ed): Classification and related methods of data analysis, Elsevier Science, 1988, 717–724.Google Scholar
- WISHART, D. (1999): ClustanGraphics3: Interactive Graphics for Cluster Analysis. In: W. Gaul, and H. Locarek-Junge (Eds.): Classification in the Information Age, Springer, Heidelberg, 268–275. See, also: http://www.clustan.com
- WISHART, D. (2000), Two-stage k-means clustering method with outlier detection and model calibration. Submitted to G. Ritter (Ed): Classification, Automation, and New Media, Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the Gesellschaft für Klassifikation, University of Passau, Springer, Heidelberg (under review).Google Scholar
- WISHART, D. (2000): Malt Whisky Classified, Pavilion Press, London (forthcoming, also at http://www.WhiskyClassified.com).