On Alpha of 235U for Sub-thermal Neutron Energies
An experiment to measure the capture to fission ratio α of 235U in the sub-thermal neutron energy region, is described. The experiment is based on the measurement of specific low energy capture y-rays and prompt fission γ-rays with a Ge detector. The liquid methane moderator of the Geel linac is used. as a pulsed source of sub-thermal neutrons, the neutron energy being determined by time-of-flight. The method requires that the relative yields of the measured y-rays per capture and fission event, respectively, do not vary over the energy range considered. Resultant α-values show an increase by about 9% in the subthermal region as compared to thermal energy, corresponding to a 1.2% decrease in η.
Keywordscapture to fission ratio, α of 235U sub-thermal neutron energy temperature coefficient of reactivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Santamarina and H. Tellier, Proc. Intern. Conf. an Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Mito 1988, p.47; JAERI, Tokyo 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Weigmann, P. Geltenbort, B. Keck, K. Schreckenbach and J.A. Wartena, Proc. Intern. Conf. on the Physics of Reactors, Marseille 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.M. C. Moxon, J.B. Brisland and D.S. Bond, Proc. Intern. Conf. on. Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Mito 1988, p.75; JAERI, Tokyo 1988; M.C,. Moxon, private communication.Google Scholar
- 4.R. G. Graves, R.E. Chrien, D.I. Garber, G.W. Cale and O.A. Wassan, Phys. Rev. C8 (1973) 781.Google Scholar
- 5.T. A. Khan, D. Hafmann and F. Harsch, Nucl. Phys. A205 (1973) 488.Google Scholar
- 6.W. J. Schindler and C.M. Fleck, Nucl. Phys. A206 (1973) 374.Google Scholar
- 7.L. V. East and G.R. Keepin, Proc,. Intern. Sympos. on Physics and Chemistry of Fission, Vienna 1969, p.647; IAEA, Vienna 1969.Google Scholar