Measurement of the Subthermal Neutron Induced Fission Cross Section of 241Pu
The 241Pu(n, f) cross-section has been measured from 2 meV up to 20 eV. The experiments were performed at GELINA, using a dedicated set-up optimized for cross-section measurements below 1 eV. The present σf(E)-data below 40 meV are clearly compatible with a 1/v-shape, in contradiction to the measurements reported in the literature. Consequently, there is a probability of errors in the thermal normalization of these measurements. Furthermore, the Westcott gf-factor calculated from the present σf(E)-data yields a value of 1.041 ± 0.003, which is lower than generally adopted.
Keywords241Pu fission cross-section range 0.002—20 eV Wescott gf-factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Wagemans, P. SChillebeeckx, A. Deruytter, R. Barthelemy, Proc. Int. Conf. PHYSOR 90, Marseille, France, Vol. 1, 111–9 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.H. Derrien and G. de Saussure, Nucl. Sci. Engn. 106, 415 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.L. Weston and J. Todd, Nucl. Sci. Engn. 65, 454 (1978)Google Scholar
- 4.C. Wagemans and A. Deruytter, Nucl. Sci. Engn. 60, 44 (1976)Google Scholar
- 5.C. Wagemans and A. Deruytter, Proc. Int. Conf. on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Antwerp, Belgium, 69 (1983)Google Scholar