Investigation of the P-Resonance Properties in Slow Neutron Fission of U-235
A new method to obtain information about the properties of low energy p-resonances in heavy fissile nuclei is described. It is based on a study of neutron energy dependence of the forward-backward asymmetry of angular distribution of fission. fragments. which is the result of s- and p-wave interference in neutron capture. The investigations of this effect for U-235 have been carried out using the neutron TOF-spectrometer GNEIS in Gatchina. The irregular energy behavior of the asymmetry coefficient α nf fb was observed in accordance with theory predictions. For some strong p-resonances the positions and effective widths have been determined at first.
KeywordsU-235 neutron fission time-of-flight forward-backward asymmetry parity violation resonance effective width
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.V. Danilyan: Uspekhi Fiz. Nauk 131. 320 (1980)Google Scholar
- 2.O.P. Sushkov and V.V. Flambaum: Uspechi Fiz. Nauk 136. 4 (198,2)Google Scholar
- 3.V.T. Bunakov and V.P. Gudkov: Nucl. Phys. A401. 93 (1983)Google Scholar
- 4.N.K. Abrosimov. G.Z. Borukhovich. A.B. Laptev. V.V. Marchenkov. G.A. Petrov. O.A. Shcherbakov. Yu.V. Tuboltzev and V.I. Yurchenko: Nucl. Instr. Methods A242. 121 (1985)Google Scholar
- 5.A.M. Gagarsky. S.P. Golosovskaja. A.B. Laptev. G.A. Petrov. A.K. Petukhov. Yu.S. Pleva. V.E. Sokolov. G.V. Stabnikova and O.A. Shcherbakov. LNPI preprint-1634. Leningrad (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.S.F. Mughabghab, Neutron Cross Sections: Vol. 1. Part B. Academic Press. London (1984)Google Scholar
- 7.L. Wilets: Phys. Rev. Lett. 9. 430 (1962)Google Scholar