Neutron Scattering in 239Pu from 0.2 to 1.0 MeV
Neutron elastic and inelastic scattering in 239Pu has been studied via the time-of-flight technique. Neutrons were produced via the 7Li(p,n)7Be reaction at the University of Lowell 5.5 MV Van de Graaff Accelerator Laboratory. An angular distribution was measured at 570 keV for two level groups, ground plus first excited state and second plus third excited state. The scattering sample was a circular disk of 3.5-cm diameter and 0.2-cm thickness containing 28.7 g of plutonium. Extensive modifications were made to our accelerator-target-sample-detector configuration in order to accommodate the small scatterer. Elastic scattering from a vanadium scatterer provided line shapes for yield extraction from the time-of-flight spectra. Results are compared to ENDF/B-VI.
KeywordsNeutrons differential cross sections angular distributions time-of-flight spectra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L.E. Beghian, G.H.R. Kegel, T.V. Marcella, B.K. Barnes, G.P. Couchell, J.J. Egan, A. Mittler, D.J. Pullen and W.A. Schier, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 69, 191(1979).Google Scholar
- 2.G.C. Goswami, J.J. Egan, G.H.R. Kegel, A. Mittler and E. Sheldon, Nucl. Sci. Eng., 100, 48(1988).Google Scholar
- 3.C.A. Ciareia, G.P. Couchell, J.J. Egan, G.H.R. Kegel, S.Q. Li, A. Mittler, D.J. Pullen, W. Schier and J.Q. Shao, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 21, 428(1985).Google Scholar
- 4.J.Q. Shao, G.P. Couchell, J.J. Egan, G.H.R. Kegel, S.Q. Li, A. Mittler, D.J. Pullen, W.A. Schier and E. D. Arthur, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 92, 350(1986).Google Scholar
- 5.J.J. Egan, A. Aliyar, C.A. Horton, G.H.R. Kegel and A. Mittler, Proceedings of the International Conference on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Mito, Japan 1988, S. Igarasi ed., Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Saikon Publishing Co., Tokyo (1988).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Haouat, J. Lachkar, Ch. Lagrange, J. Jary, J. Siguad and Y. Patin, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 81, 491(1982).Google Scholar
- 7.C.R. Kerns, IEEE Trans. on Nucl. Sci., NS-24, 353(1977).Google Scholar
- 8.G.H.R. Kegel, P.F. Dugan, J.J. Egan, C.K.C. Jen, A. Mittler and P.A. Staples (paper 09, this conference).Google Scholar
- 9.G.H.R. Kegel, IMBUI, Comput. Phys. Comm. 24, 205(1981).Google Scholar
- 10.P.G. Young, L.W. Weston and W.P. Poenitz, Evaluated Nuclear Data File B Version VI, ENDF/B-VI, Mat. 9437 National Nuclear Data Center, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY, (1989).Google Scholar