Maximization of Measure of Allowable Sample Sizes Region in Stratified Sampling
This paper concerns the problem of optimal stratified sampling when the purpose is to simultaneously estimate the means of many variables. The goal is stratify the population and allocate sample in ways that minimize survey costs and ensure that all variances of the mean estimators are sufficiently small. The paper proposes a solution method for the case of imprecisely determined unit sampling costs. The method is based on maximization of the volume of a certain subset of the admissible sample sizes set.
KeywordsUnit Cost Finite Population Sample Allocation Survey Cost Stratify Sampling Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DALENIUS T. (1957), Sampling in Sweden. Contribution to methods and theories of sample survey practice, Almqvist & Wiksells, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- GREN J. (1963), Sample allocation in multivariate stratified sampling (in Polish), Przeglgd Statystyczny, vol. 10, pp. 291–302.Google Scholar
- GREN J. (1966), On some usage of nonlinear programming in survey sampling (in Polish), Przegląd Statystyczny, vol. 13, pp. 203–217.Google Scholar
- SKIBICKI M., WYWIAL J. (2001), Examples of using clustering methods to optimization of stratified sampling (in Polish), Wiadomosci Statystyczne, no. 8, pp. 4–11.Google Scholar
- WYWIAL J. (2000), On optimal stratification in case of means vector estimation (in Polish), Prace Naukowe Akademii Ekonomicznej we Wroclawiu, no. 857, pp. 217–223.Google Scholar