Transformer and LCL Filter Design for DPFCs
Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS) can be used for power flow control in AC transmission grids, allowing simultaneous control of the bus voltage and line active and reactive power. However, due to high costs and reliability concerns, the application of this technology has been limited in such applications. Recently, the concept of Distributed FACTS (DFACTS) and Distributed Power Flow Controller (DPFC) has been introduced as a low cost high reliability alternative for power flow control.
This paper presents the design of a coupling transformer and a LCL filter for DPFC devices. To extract the electromagnetic energy from the transmission line a transformer with a single turn primary is designed and optimized. A third-order LCL filter is used to guarantee high order harmonics filtering. Simulations results are presented and discussed.
KeywordsFACTS DFACTS UPFC DPFC
- 1.Gyugyi, L., Hingorani, N.G.: Understanding FACTS: Concepts and Technology of Flexible AC Transmission Systems. IEEE Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Yuan, Z., de Haan, S.W.H., Ferreira, B.: A New FACTS component – Distributed Power Flow Controller (DPFC). In: European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Aalborg, pp. 1–4 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Martins, I.M., Silva, F.A., Pinto, S.F., Martins, I.E.: Control of distributed power flow controllers using active power from homopolar line currents. In: IEEE 13th International Conference OPTIM 2012, Brasov, pp. 806–813 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Martins, I.M., Silva, F.A., Pinto, S.F., Martins, I.E.: Independent Active and Reactive Power Control in Distributed Power Flow Controllers (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 6.Silva, F.A., Lopes, D., Sequeira, J.: Designing Transformers for the Power Supply of a Transmission Line Inspection Robot. In: Congrès 2012 CIGRÉ Canada, Montréal, pp. 24–26 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Ahmed, K.H., Finney, S.J., Williams, B.W.: Passive Filter Design for Three-Phase Inverter Interfacing in Distributed Generation. In: Compatibility in Power Electronics 2007, Gdansk, pp. 1–9 (2007)Google Scholar