Clustering Based Routing Strategies for Energy Management in Ad-Hoc Networks
Clustering is an energy efficient routing technique which is used for ad-hoc network optimization in terms of energy and lifetime. A clustering technique takes into consideration only two parameters that of node-ID and node-Degree. We propose two clustering based routing protocols namely ‘Multiple Criterion - Clustering Based Routing Protocol’ (MC-CBRP) and ‘Residual Energy-Clustering Based Routing Protocol’ (RE-CBRP). The proposed protocols take into consideration the node energy along with the other network parameters. These protocols provide an extension to the existing Cluster Based Routing Protocol (CBRP). In RE-CBRP we consider the node energy to be the criterion for the cluster head selection. The node having the maximum residual energy is elected as the cluster head. Whereas MC-CBRP takes into account node ID, node Degree along with node energy to select a cluster head. The results provide comparative performance analysis of RE-CBRP, MC-CBRP, existing CBRP and Dynamic Source Routing (DSR) protocols. Results demonstrate that the network can be efficiently optimized with respect to energy using the RE-CBRP and MC-CBRP as compared to CBRP and DSR.
KeywordsClustering ad-hoc networks routing protocols CBRP DSR RE-CBRP MC-CBRP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tamilarasi, M., Chandramathi, S., Palanivelu, T.G.: Overhead reduction and energy management in DSR for MANETs. In: Proc. IEEE COMSWARE 2008, pp. 762–766 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Nocetti, F.G., Gonzalez, J.S., Stojmenovic, I.: Connectivity based k-hop clustering in Wireless Network. Telecommunication Systems, 205–220 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Gavalas, D., Pantziou, G., Konstantopoulos, C., Mamalis, B.: Clustering of Ad Hoc Networks: An Adaptive Broadcast Period Approach. In: Proc. IEEE ICC, pp. 4034–4039 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.-C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR). IETF Draft (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A.: Dynamic Source Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks. Mobile Computing. Kluwer Academic Publishers (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Boukerche, A.: Performance Comparison and Analysis of Ad hoc Routing Algorithms. In: Proc. IEEE PCC 2001, pp. 171–178 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Yu, J.Y., Chong, P.H.J., Zhang, M.: Performance of Efficient CBRP in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks (MANET). IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Jiang, M., Li, J., Tay, Y.C.: Cluster Based Routing Protocol (CBRP). IETF MANET Working Group, Internet-Draft (1999)Google Scholar